PADI "Looking Good" Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bet that is a fun class. If it wasn't too expensive and it was available in FL it might be an entertaining way to spend a Saturday.
We "teach" it. It's an absolute blast. It turns into a big social event and often gets "coverage" beyond just the dive folks.

Lesson 1:

Do Bee..........................Don't Bee
.................mark one

Darn, now I am feeling totally inadequate with just having OW and EAN. But, I do get some satisfaction from knowing that money for the ever expanding list of courses and cards is still in my bank account and not PADI's.

Darn, now I am feeling totally inadequate with just having OW and EAN. But, I do get some satisfaction from knowing that money for the ever expanding list of courses and cards is still in my bank account and not PADI's.
I guess it is worth saying again: almost none of the money for those courses ends up at PADI; it goes to the shops/instructors that teach and promote them.

I guess it is worth saying again: almost none of the money for those courses ends up at PADI; it goes to the shops/instructors that teach and promote them.

Then who funds PADI? Not trying to be argumentative--just would be interested in knowing where they get their money.

Some sources:

Training materials - manuals, eLearning access, Touch products, for students (rec and pro)
PADI branded merchandise
Certification registrations (cert cards)
Branding/advertizing materials for businesses
PADI business courses
Professional membership applications, applications, annual fees.
Business memberships
Course Director programs

...and more, most of which does not come from a "student".

All PADI would get from what a store charged for an open water course would be the cost to the store for the training materials they bought from PADI to sell to the student.

Then who funds PADI? Not trying to be argumentative--just would be interested in knowing where they get their money.
PADI sells training materials, not classes. Most of the Distinctive Specialties have no training materials with which PADI is involved.

Thank you both for the information and clarification.

As some people have already noted, almost all the cost of instruction goes to the local shop and the instructor doing the work. Although you didn't say it yourself, this is about the same time that some also curses out local shops and instructors for expecting to be paid for the work they do. The nerve--expecting me to pay for the services they provide! Those money grubbers are always looking for a way to take a buck out of your pocket! I hear some of them expect to make minimum wage--the dirty bastards!

As some people have already noted, almost all the cost of instruction goes to the local shop and the instructor doing the work. Although you didn't say it yourself, this is about the same time that some also curses out local shops and instructors for expecting to be paid for the work they do. The nerve--expecting me to pay for the services they provide! Those money grubbers are always looking for a way to take a buck out of your pocket! I hear some of them expect to make minimum wage--the dirty bastards!
That depends on how much you're charging for the "Zombie Apocalypse Diver" card... or any card for that matter. I'd probably pay $50, maybe even $75 for the class if it's as fun as it sounds.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom