Wanted Backplate + Wing Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll go ahead and say before someone else does. Give Tobin from Deep Sea Supply a call

I actually live in LA. I just checked out their website. Do they machine their own parts?

I actually live in LA. I just checked out their website. Do they machine their own parts?

From what I understand, yes they make all of their own equipment. His username is cool_hardware IIRC. I'm sure he will be in here to chime in. I've personally never spoke to him about BP/W (I have briefly about another product I bought from him), but everyone always says he's very thorough and will get you going in the right direction.

Aristowong,

I am selling two SS (316, which is more corrosion resistant than 304 or other common grades of stainless steel) backplates with Halcyon Pioneer 27 wings and Single Tank Adapters (STA). The backplates were made by Fred Tagge in 2002 and are about 15.5 inches long. The total weight of the backplate, wing, and STA, with all straps and buckles, is about 14-1/2 lbs. I believe the negative buoyancy of the plate should come in around 10 lbs. Included with the systems are the Halcyon ACB (Active Control Ballast) integrated quick-release weight pockets (one on each side).

My son and I dove with these setups over about three years and maybe 60 dives. The last dive was in 2005 and the equipment has been in dry storage ever since. It appears to be in excellent condition, as it was not exposed to sunlight or moisture while in storage.

Most of our diving was in warm water off the Florida keys and southeastern coast, but some dives were made in cold New England lakes as well. I typically needed little additional weight beyond the backplate and the ten or so pounds that fit into the ACB pockets. This was diving with a 5mm full wetsuit and 7mm booties. Diving the same equipment in a cold lake, with the same 5mm full suit plus a 7mm/5mm shorty wetsuit over it, I typically wore 20 lbs of weight in addition to the backplate.

At that time I weighed about 160 lbs, 5 ft 9 inches. This setup worked great for me.
I will have the listing posted some time this afternoon, complete with links to photos, and my asking price. Because of the size and weight, the UPS shipping cost will be significant (I am in New Hampshire).

Pete

Back
Top Bottom