Broken Tank Valve + Regulator hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cliffoco

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was on a dive charter recently and we had all our tanks on a wood bench and they were all strapped in using a big bungee across the valves. We were all done the dive and the DM was just making a couple statements when the guy beside me lifted the bungie resulting in my BCD + tank falling over right on the 1st stage / valve. A loud bang followed by a hissing tank because the fall actually cracked the metal casing around the low pressure hose. I quickly closed my tank (a little embarrassed) and proceeded to get off the boat. The guy who did it didn't apologize or anything. I wasn't to concerned being that it was just a broken hose and mistakes happen.
The next day - I go to fill my tanks and the one that fell wont take a fill, the shop said that they tried with 2 whips and although the tank cracks open to let air out it wont take any in (they were bewildered) - I left the tank there and they are going to look at it tonight / tomorrow.
That being said if the fall managed to break a solid valve - who is to say something didn't get damaged in the 1st stage (luckily they are cheap regs and I was already looking at replacing with the new Deep 6 gear) Now I a little upset at the guy who started this whole string of events. Would you guys ever dive with that reg again? I am hoping the shop will cut me a break on a new valve if it's required seeing as it was on there charter. Am I to blame for not holding my tank 100% of the time? Ultimately, my gear my responsibility but still.. blaa. just ranting!

Get it serviced, tell the tech what happened so he doesn't skip anything. Then dive it.

What first is it?

My suggestion is...look VERY closely at the tank neck and threads themselves...and I'll go so far as to suggest that I would NOT dive that tank till I'd had a hydro and good inspection done. I've personally seen the damage a tank fall/neck landing can do.
In all probability you will find that the 1st stage tank attachment ( especially if yoke) is either cracked or bent where it physically is attached to the first stage proper. Remember ALL that force was transferred not only INTO BUT thru THE 1ST STAGE AND INTO THE VALVE AND THAN NECK THREADS.

Personally...no not me...full inspection/test if it were my gear. JMO.

Bubs

Let's look at the parts separately. The seal surface of the valve has been compromised sometimes you can take a magnifying glass and see where it is out of round. Try as you might you probably need a new valve. As to the regulator the fact that the hose broke may be a good thing the impact may have occurred at an angle and hopefully the only thing damaged is the hose, though you should check the threads when you remove the hose. As a dive shop who is liability shy I would throw it in the parts bin. Bottom line you tough my gear, you break it, you pay. Was the guy who touched your gear crew, then they should know better.

Get it serviced, tell the tech what happened so he doesn't skip anything. Then dive it.

What first is it?

Sea Elite Rx650 -- based off my research it looks similar to the hog classic.

My suggestion is...look VERY closely at the tank neck and threads themselves...and I'll go so far as to suggest that I would NOT dive that tank till I'd had a hydro and good inspection done. I've personally seen the damage a tank fall/neck landing can do.
In all probability you will find that the 1st stage tank attachment ( especially if yoke) is either cracked or bent where it physically is attached to the first stage proper. Remember ALL that force was transferred not only INTO BUT thru THE 1ST STAGE AND INTO THE VALVE AND THAN NECK THREADS.

Personally...no not me...full inspection/test if it were my gear. JMO.

Bubs

I am sure the person at the shop will take a look at the threads when they remove the valve. I see no actual damage to the 1st stage or valve (no dents cracks, bends etc.)

Let's look at the parts separately. The seal surface of the valve has been compromised sometimes you can take a magnifying glass and see where it is out of round. Try as you might you probably need a new valve. As to the regulator the fact that the hose broke may be a good thing the impact may have occurred at an angle and hopefully the only thing damaged is the hose, though you should check the threads when you remove the hose. As a dive shop who is liability shy I would throw it in the parts bin. Bottom line you tough my gear, you break it, you pay. Was the guy who touched your gear crew, then they should know better.

The BCD should have also broken a lot of the fall, along with the hose it only dropped a few feet. I never thought about the hose threads good point.

Well the guy never really touched my gear, he touched his gear and the bungie cord holding all our gear on the bench. My BCD had integrated weights so it was enough to make it top heavy. I assume I will need a new valve, shocked a fall could cause this very weird error. My local LDS is CRAZY expensive for like everything - I hope I don't get to pressured into buying an overpriced valve. I don't mind paying a little more for local service but when the price for most items are double and plus some.... The other person was not crew, just another diver.

One thing that was bugging me is the fact that only 1 bungee for all? All the ones I've been on so far have been individual especially since its safer. Out of curiosity were your weights still in the bc? I would consider buying a new valve from dgx if they are so over priced there

One thing that was bugging me is the fact that only 1 bungee for all? All the ones I've been on so far have been individual especially since its safer. Out of curiosity were your weights still in the bc? I would consider buying a new valve from dgx if they are so over priced there

2 Bungee, one for one side of the boat and one for the other - each side holds about 6 divers. However keep in mind we are not on the ocean but rather the St. Lawrence river - so fairly smooth.

Update on the tank - They took the valve apart, replaced some of the disposables and put it back together works fine now. Charge was more then reasonable and happy to pay it.

I will probably mark on my 1st stage that its broken (I have an identical set that I don't want to get mixed up! - (brothers gear) ) And maybe take it apart to play with it but seeing as I already decided to get a new reg instead of servicing (has not been serviced for 6.5 years) I will not spend the cash to service it. Just to much of a risk seeing as how the valve turned out. I think the second stages are all fine, going to maybe pick up a hose and put it as my octo for my new reg set.

Moving forward - I will really make sure my weights are out as chances are this could have been avoided if I did.

I'm still surprised that air could only go one way... That's not how these valves work. They are open or closed and the consumables are at a right angle to your fall so, unlikely to be damaged.

Your first stage is probably fine. I've seen several hoses broken by a fall and the regulator is fine.

I've never seen a boat with one bungee for more than one diver. If I made someone's gear fall over I would pay a reasonable amount for repairs, namely $20 for the hose but the valve is silly to be broken so I wouldn't even think to pay for that. Actually I would have taken off my hose and installed it on your reg so you could make your dive, or loaned you my reg.

If you later asked me to pay for the valve I would ask for the opportunity to rebuild it myself first.

I have to agree that there is no explanation for how air could travel in one direction through the tank valve but not the other. As long as your valve is working I guess that's what matters.

For the 1st stage, you can check it by replacing the hose with a port plug, pressurizing it, and submerging to check for any leaks. The most likely thing I can think of would be the yoke getting bent a little and compromising the seal with the tank valve. That's usually a very noticeable leak, though.

I wonder what would happen if you managed to break the seat loose from the plug assembly. That part would be replaced in a service.

Back
Top Bottom