Rolling gear bag suitable for wet gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used the inexpensive $40 rolling duffel (Traveler's Club Adventure 30-inch 2-Section Drop-Bottom Rolling Duffel Bag | Overstock.com Shopping - The Best Deals on Duffel Bags) posted a couple times in this thread during our short stop at Cozumel. The bag did the job carrying 2 sets of wet gear, barely.

Volume wise, the bag was fine. Iy was pretty packed with little room to spare but had just enough for our 2 sets of gear (fins, shorties, BC's, regs, masks, computers,gloves, boots and other knick-knacks). Our BC's are fairly bulky (Zeagles).

Durability wise, it barely made it. When the gear is dry, the roller works just fine. When the gear is soaked, the weight really stresses the bottom of the bag, in-between the wheels which is it's weak point. It sags and begins to drag on the floor.

We walked it around for a quite a bit and it held up till we got back to the boat. I don't think this roller bag could survive another couple of similar trips but it got the job done.
Carrying around that gear on backs in backpacks would have been grueling and a total fail.

I'd be willing to pay good money for a similar roller bag if it could better handle the weight and had good durability when wet.

The soft mesh bags wouldn't cut it for lots of walking. It's soft sided so it sags, I bet a lot with wet gear.

I use that mares mesh bag you had before. When I was working at an aquarium, the mesh bag got pretty old for the same reasons you mentioned in your original post. Several of the other guys there switched to the xs scuba bag. It works pretty well, and is basically the mares bag with some wheels. The wheels end up adding some weight and making it much less comfortable to use as a backpack.

Wheeled Mesh Backpack

There are a lot of options if you're willing to spend a lot more money. Scubapro has some nice firm bags. A few of my friends who've gone for divemaster at scubapro shops own them. They aren't mesh though so you'll have to take the wet gear back out to keep things from getting gross.

I use that mares mesh bag you had before. When I was working at an aquarium, the mesh bag got pretty old for the same reasons you mentioned in your original post. Several of the other guys there switched to the xs scuba bag. It works pretty well, and is basically the mares bag with some wheels. The wheels end up adding some weight and making it much less comfortable to use as a backpack.

Wheeled Mesh Backpack

There are a lot of options if you're willing to spend a lot more money. Scubapro has some nice firm bags. A few of my friends who've gone for divemaster at scubapro shops own them. They aren't mesh though so you'll have to take the wet gear back out to keep things from getting gross.

Taking out wet gear from a bag to dry is a given. As long as the bag doesn't fall apart from getting wet and can handle the weight, I'll pay.

Kelemvor, Im getting used to this new forum controls format. Sorry for the accidental message.

Sometimes you have to leave the gear in the bag in a hot car for a few hours or maybe even overnite (ie travelling to and from the dive site, maybe stopping for a meal along the way with friends). Having a mesh bag makes a BIG difference in the smell factor. That being said, my prior post above shows there is a place for both.

I have the Costco bag. It's great for hauling gear long distances. I have not tried to load it down with two sets of gear as that would make it too heavy. It's pretty bad on all dive boats I have seen because it is too big and can't be stored under most benches. If it gets wet it stinks and takes a long time to dry. That's why I have the XS mesh rolling duffel for short hauls and use on the actual boar or dive site, and the Costco for travel/long hauls.

However, for air travel, I do believe the new lighweight polycarbonate hard luggage (my 29" IT four-wheel roller weighs about 6 pounds, far less than the Costco duffel) is, by far, the best choice, with the rolling mesh bag packed inside for use on-site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom