Let's Hear about Your Bad Training Experiences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ResortDiver850

Registered
Reaction score
I thought l would start this thread for those of us who have been disappointed with their training experiences.

I just spent $$$, and valuable spare time to get my OW Cert. I left very disappointed with the training.

So who among us have spent alot of time and money for training, and felt it fell short of your expectations? Please share your tales of woe! :)

Vent away!

Being required to take Advanced before taking rescue when I already had 200 cold water dives. Almost a complete waste of time. :rolleyes:
Rescue was quite good. :)
Same instructor even. I don't really know if that was PADI.......or the instructor that wouldn't let me skip Advanced.

Can't really say disappointed by any training, but the specialty I definitely got the least out of was digital underwater photography. Just did not learn much that I did not already know about photography in general, or could have figured out on my own in PhotoShop. I did get a bit of useful information out of the course, though.

Conversely, my favourites were ice diving and a distinctive specialty in underwater archaeology. Rescue would be a very close third after ice and underwater archaeology.

So i was the instructor for a lady and I just couldn't teach her to remove/replace her scuba unit at the surface. I showed her 3 ways of doing it, but she just couldn't get it. I had to refund her money and not certify her.

That was a terrible training experience. Or did you mean something else?

... the kid who showed up for OW class and damn near drowned himself attempting the swim test. It was only then that he told me he couldn't swim and the reason he signed up for scuba lessons was to overcome his fear of the water. This was AFTER I had told him prior to the class that there was a required swim test before he could start the in-water training. Class ended right after I pulled him out of the pool ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I felt the class too large, and that students were very rushed through; like only the instructor's time was important and mine wasnt.

I had some questions about the material the instructor didn't want to take any extra time to explain. Things like this.

I've had a lot of safety training in other fields which the classes were of similar time length, and the material was drilled into the students.

Maybe my expectations were too high for the very limited class time.

Can't really say disappointed by any training, but the specialty I definitely got the least out of was digital underwater photography. Just did not learn much that I did not already know about photography in general, or could have figured out on my own in PhotoShop. I did get a bit of useful information out of the course, though.

This course is clearly where you need an Instructor that have really something to teach. If you go anywhere and you are already a photographer or fan of photography, then that is clear that you will be disappointed... Same apply to many specialties like Wreck, Biology and so on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom