Student Pulled from Elliott Bay in Seattle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We don't know that. The news says that he decided to bring the class to the surface. It doesn't say when he noticed he had one less student that he started with.
The story says that when he thumbed the dive, she returned the sign, which shows she understood. that means she became lost during the ascent.

always sad news for the scuba diving community when a instructor loses a student.....Condolences to her family and her friends.

Of the lessons that can be learned from this, I would state that even with small rations (1:3), 1:2 is really more appropriate (though I don't think would have changed this outcome). Students really need to have dive lights clipped onto their harness as well as tank lights.

Instructors should also use convex hand mirrors like this one: http://www.etrailer.com/Mirrors/CIPA/CM11125.html; to help keep track of students whenever their back is turned and/or they cannot physically hold onto their students. I always use it when guiding new students and they've said they have felt comfortable seeing that I was watching them in the reflection during the dive.

Maybe even 1:1 ratios if the viz is bad enough.

The story says that when he thumbed the dive, she returned the sign, which shows she understood. that means she became lost during the ascent.

Did any info come out whether that was an ascent up slope, or a vertical ascent to the surface? Each have issues. I'm not sure I could have pulled off a controlled vertical ascent in OW1.....probably would have popped.
Going up slope in terrible viz and maintaining contact can be a challenge for experienced divers.

The whole thing is so much easier when you can see.

I think you could add large student/instructor/divemaster ratios. It's hard enough to keep track of a buddy but I can't see how you can do it with several students and limited viz.

Larger classes make more money esp if that money isn't divided among several instructora/safety personnel.

She may have never even started the ascent after giving the thumb. I've seen OW divers dump all there BC instead of add and crash into the bottom. For someone already anxious that alone could have been a tipping point to panic and drowning.

As I read the story it also seems that the instructor had students or student assist in the rescue. Hmmmm.

Sorrynto hear this happened we drove by that morning and didn't get to dive due to gear issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom