Rebreathers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will say this, despite all of the b*****t surrounding the APOC, they actually have a really good BOV. The OC bailout is well thought out, and easy to accomplish for both a diver and a potential rescuer. It's a smart design, has excellent WOB, it's a little large, but it swims surprisingly well. What's too bad is that the market is very small as they refuse to make a model with either changeable gas flow, or a left-to-right model. Since they refuse to produce a BOV that works with the vast majority of rebreathers on the market, they're already limiting their sales. Couple that with the fact that their reputation is.....lackluster....at best, they'll never get them onto the market in any reasonable numbers. Which is a shame because it's actually a decent product.

Here is the only rebreather I would consider. It has full CE safety certifications, unlike everything else I have seen.

https://www.opensafety.eu/datasheets/Apoc O2 Datasheet 110805.pdf

For the love of god and everything holy....."rebreathers are bad.....cells are evil.....but there is one that I would consider...even though after YEARS it doesnt really exist and the people behind it are flakes.."

That monster is fake...

Vapourware. Try to actually buy one. Many many rebreathers have full CE certification. That's no big deal.

How is it possible that that rebreather is "flood recoverable during a dive"? once the scrubber has been exposed to water, game over.... or did I miss something in chemistry class lol

How is it possible that that rebreather is "flood recoverable during a dive"? once the scrubber has been exposed to water, game over.... or did I miss something in chemistry class lol

I don't know what the APOC uses, but the old Cis Lunar radials had a hydrophobic membrane surrounding the scrubber. You could literally change scrubbers underwater, de-water the unit, then continue diving. They're like hens teeth on the second hand market and go for a pretty significant premium.

Either way, I figure they're probably just speaking of the ability to de-water the unit in the event of a non-compromising flood. Rebreathers like the Megalodon with a water trap in the base, coupled with a scrubber with some air space around it and a direct path to an OPV can be de-watered by taking a certain position (or set of positions) in the water to move liquid to a position such as an exhale counter lung, and then forcing air through the loop in a similar manner as a dil flush. It forces water from the counterlung and leaves the interior of the rebreather clear to continue use.

Last edited:

It is possible. Some rebreathers, well most, can have an intake of water without that water getting into the sorb. Io other words, a certain amount of water can be introduced without that water getting to the sorb. Then, in some units, the water can be cleared thus reducing the chance that it gets to the sorb.

It is possible. Some rebreathers, well most, can have an intake of water without that water getting into the sorb. Io other words, a certain amount of water can be introduced without that water getting to the sorb. Then, in some units, the water can be cleared thus reducing the chance that it gets to the sorb.

My point exactly I know the Hollis explorer has a valve that allows water to leave the loop, and there is a process during the CCR course to shake the water down and out of the loop, but the data sheet makes it look like a full loop flood is recoverable which I view as loop, and can....why would they advocate anything other than "when in doubt, bail out" selling a unit as being flood recoverable is a dangerous proposition, IMHO

My point exactly I know the Hollis explorer has a valve that allows water to leave the loop, and there is a process during the CCR course to shake the water down and out of the loop, but the data sheet makes it look like a full loop flood is recoverable which I view as loop, and can....why would they advocate anything other than "when in doubt, bail out" selling a unit as being flood recoverable is a dangerous proposition, IMHO

Not really. There are several mechanisms of action that would allow water to enter the loop that would not render the loop useless. Its all covered in training and actually pretty simple.

Many CCRs are built differently than the explorer as they are intended for different purposes. A unit that is flood recoverable means that the counter lungs are separate often connected via a T piece. This means water can enter the counter lung and is held there until it is drained but it does not make it to the scubber. There is always some water around the scrubber as a one of the by products is water. Units like the Meg and Hammer head can recover from SOME floods. They do have their limits and if the flooding is due to a leak in the head then it is unlikely you would be able to recover.

Many CCRs are built differently than the explorer as they are intended for different purposes. A unit that is flood recoverable means that the counter lungs are separate often connected via a T piece. This means water can enter the counter lung and is held there until it is drained but it does not make it to the scubber. There is always some water around the scrubber as a one of the by products is water. Units like the Meg and Hammer head can recover from SOME floods. They do have their limits and if the flooding is due to a leak in the head then it is unlikely you would be able to recover.

Sure, I think what I find troubling is this language in their data sheet:
"flood tolerant: even total flooding is recoverable during a dive."

Keep in mind also my perspective is one of a second year law student lol so that statement is very dangerous in legal terms as well as plain advert.

Total flooding is diff from a little water in the loop...I guess one should ask what they view as "total" but total in my mind equals bailout.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom