Drysuit undersuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a merino base layer at REI (suggestion by another on SB) it was on sale so around 150 bucks total and a pair of moisture wicking socks think they were labled as mountaineering, but they all work great. The first time I used my drysuit (just started too) I thought the suit was leaking like a sieve, but it was the fact that I had on cotton shirt and swim shorts in the pool it was actually sweat. I also have a DUI 200g Polartec or something like that it came with the suit and it works good but is definitly warm topside but that is the trade off I suppose. It is definitly nice getting out (mostly) dry. Have fun

The only thing to really consider, in my admittedly limited 10ish dry dives, is whether your "street clothes" will be comfortable as a warmth layer under your dry suit. I've used fleece pants, runner tights, and wool sweaters with no problems at all. I did end up making my own one-piece fleece jumpsuit with all velcro closures just for simplicity but there's no need to spend a lot of money on a diving specific undergarment or even on anything particularly specialized as a wicking layer, if you get cold easily. I don't sweat in my dry suit at those temps so I stay pretty much bone dry unless my suit leaks. I especially wouldn't go out of my way to get anything other than normal fall-weather clothing if it's just for a few dives.

I didn't read what sort of drysuit you are wearing... or did I miss it?

If it's a neorprene suit, you won't need anything more than the base layer... maybe a sweatshirt. If it's a tri-lam on the other hand, then a base layer and a 200 gsm suit would be tons.

I might caution all new drysuit divers to resist the urge to use your street clothes as your dive undergarment, for two rather important reasons.

1. street clothes rarely give you the kind of thermal protection you really want. It sucks to end a dive freezing because those blue jeans really have zero thermal protection. Most jogging type pants (fleece) aren't much better. They compress underwater and lose thermal protection.

2. wait for it... SUIT FLOOD. It really, really sucks to have to drive home in soaking wet clothes.

As for the flooded drysuit, it's not if, but when. Even a perfectly good suit with no "issues" can flood. I've managed to put a wrinkle in the neck seal being in a hurry, and also managed to accidentally zip a bit of undergarment in the zipper (again, in a hurry). Both times resulted in a significant flood. Even if you manage to avoid this, eventually the neck seal will wear out, or the wrist seals, or you puncture a dryglove, or the zipper finally starts to leak, or you cut something on a rock or wreck or other...

Having a separate dive undergarment from your street clothes means you have something dry to change into for the drive home.

I also recommend "don't forget to bring a towel!" (nice having dry hair, being able to dry hands etc.) Finally, if you do have a full suit flood, having a spare pair of underwear is really nice.

I was using Under Armor Cold gear as a base layer and thought that was fine. Then I got a set of 4th Element Arctics and the Xerotherm Base layer. The under armor is now sitting in a drawer. Likely to stay there forever.

Wicking base layer is fancy terms for nylon, polyester, & spandex blends.
Get something mostly nylon or polyester and you'll be fine. 100% spandex may not get what you're looking for wicking wise.

I would steer away from cotton blends because usually you'll come out with it being damp and that can add to chill over a long day of diving. Most cotton blends I see have 70% and above; cotton absorbs and chills; polyester/nylon does not. Fun fact, do summer yard work in a long sleeve cotton shirt and you'll be significantly cooler than in a short sleeve athletic shirt.

There's a lot of athletic socks that are really a cotton blend, so you'll definitely want to pay attention for which pack you buy.
Most athletic tops and bottoms are going to be non-cotton completely.

Don't forget about your underwear too. It sucks when you take off your kit and your underwear is damp and chilly on the drive back.

Last edited:
Polartec fleece is Polartec fleece whether it's used in a pair of generic sweatpants or a scuba jumpsuit. Polartec is 100% synthetic though. Beware of "cotton blend" fleece.

Polypro long sleeve shirts are a great wicking layer, and very light. From personal experience I recommend long sleeve as the extra cloth on the arms really helps keeping the hands warm.

Back
Top Bottom