Must Do's in Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NightRaven77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Attention Divers...!!!

I am going to Bonaire for the first time in October and want some insight as to things I just have to do while Im there....

Anyone got any good ideas???

NightRaven77

My list usually includes diving 1000 Steps, the Hilma Hooker and Alice in Wonderland (a nice double reef with a sand channel at about 80ft- lots of garden eels), a round the island tour though Rincon with a stop on the windward side of the island. Got to eat at Gibi's (a small local restuarant -tues nights are best, that's when the Bonaire Talk board group meets) and Bobby Jans. Even thinking about this is torture on a Bonaire junkie. Enjoy yourself.

Like herman, we are Bonaire-aholics (ok, maybe it's NOT a real word... :wink:)

He's given you some of the best spots to dive. We also enjoy Karpata, Angel City, and if you can get permission, The Salt Pier.

Don't forget to try the ice cream at Lovers; best thing in the world to take that salt taste out of your mouth after a long hard day of diving. :eyebrow:

Raining Fishes is a good restaurant; not the cheapest, but I think you do get value for your money, as they have some amazing seafood dishes.

There is also a little walk up place on the main drag called Julio's that gives you HUGE portions of local cuisine (like stewed chicken with rice, etc.) for very reasonable prices. And of course there's always Wattaburger for fast food with a decidedly Caribbean twist.

Washington-Slagbaai Park is very neat, but make sure you have a vehicle with good suspension, because that road is not in the best shape.

BTW, you can also mtn bike & do a kyak tour of the mangroves.

Have fun! :thumb:

Favorite Dive Sites
Karpata
Joanne's Sunchi
Oil Slick Leap
Either of the piers
Hilma Hooker
Windjammer (very deep, but if you're trimix trained ask around)

Favorite Other Sites
Salt pans (flamingoes, slave huts, donkeys, etc.)
Washington Slaagbai park (bring water and an off-road vehicle)
Rincon (get away from Kralendijk for at least a little while)

Favorite Restaurants
Richard's
Rains Fishes
Capriccio's
Rose Inn

Don't Leave 'till You Taste
Fricadelle
Kabrito Stoba

And try your hand at windsurfing on Lac Bay. It's a great place for beginners to get wet (and you will, repeatedly) and have a good time.

More Information
http://www.bonairetalk.com/
http://www.infobonaire.com/

NightRaven77:
Attention Divers...!!!

I am going to Bonaire for the first time in October and want some insight as to things I just have to do while Im there....

I would add a couple of dive sites to what has already been mentioned:

Willemstoren Lighthouse, at the southern tip of the island - when the wind and the surf calm down, this is IMHO the best dive on Bonaire

Wayaka, in the Washington Slagbaai park - the coral is unfortunately damaged in the shallow areas, but the site is spectacular and very few people dive there

And a couple more things:

Salt Pier is indeed an excellent dive, and you do not need to ask for permission if you go when the Dive Bus is parked there (once a week, Thursdays if I remember correctly).

The Windjammer can perfectly be dived on air if you don't mind doing extended deco, and you are able to properly plan the dive.

Enjoy!

Due to "security" concerns, you can no longer dive the Salt Pier without a DM. To make matters worse, you have to fill out paperwork (passport ID, name, ect) and go with a DM who has limits on how many he/she can have with them and there is a limit on how many DM's can be in the water at a time. Same goes for the town pier. Still a nice dive and worth doing if you have never done it but too much trouble for me. If you want to do the Windjammer or do a "try rebreather" dive, there is a tech instructor on island that is very good. I don't remember his operations name off the top of my head but ask anyone how to find Walt.

I forgot about Oil Slick, a def do. A couple of other notes of interest to the other members of BAA (Bonaire Addicts Anonymous) I understand that the rodes in the park have been improved a lot lately. Also, sometime this spring they put a really really nice new platform at Oil Slick.

Should we BAA members warn him about catching PBD?? :06:

Windjammer (very deep, but if you're trimix trained ask around)

Trimix is extremely extremely expensive. I think the only one who uses it there is the trimix course.

The Windjammer can perfectly be dived on air if you don't mind doing extended deco, and you are able to properly plan the dive.

Using Dplan, w/ GF of 30-85, 20min on Windjammer (210ft) on air gives 44 min of deco using 80% for deco while using trimix 20/37 w/ same GF gives 48 min of deco.

If you dive it on air w/o and deco gas, now you are talking....
73 min of deco.

BTW: you can get trimix, rich nitrox deco mixes, and banded doubles w/manifold from Capt Don's Habitat. They also offer the courses.

herman:
<snip>
Should we BAA members warn him about catching PBD?? :06:

Post Bonaire Depression? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom