DCS Question Please Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should check your dive tables. According to the NAUI tables you'd have to stay at 40 feet for more than 2 hours before you might have an issue. Seems that should have reassured you.

You should check your dive tables. According to the NAUI tables you'd have to stay at 40 feet for more than 2 hours before you might have an issue. Seems that should have reassured you.
The tables assume a moderate ascent rate. They tell you nothing about a fast ascent rate.

OP, read up on the 5 minute neuro exam. Have someone do it to you. I expect you will be reassured. Really though nobody on here can have an opinion about whether you were injured. Yo need to talk to a doctor, preferably face to face. Even then, unless you have explicit symptoms which go away when recompressed, it is hard to be sure for marginal cases.

You were lucky QUIT worrying about it. What concerned me was that last deep breadth you took. Concern yourself with preventing the blowup problem. Yes in doubt get treatment as soon as possible. The next day is way to late. You should have put a fresh tank on and returned to the bottom for a few minutes and resurfaced at a very slow rate.

You were lucky QUIT worrying about it. What concerned me was that last deep breadth you took. Concern yourself with preventing the blowup problem. Yes in doubt get treatment as soon as possible. The next day is way to late. You should have put a fresh tank on and returned to the bottom for a few minutes and resurfaced at a very slow rate.
Probably not the best course of action if someone is new or inexperienced to suggest in water deco after the initial surface. It is possibly ok as an emergency measure if other treatment is not available (link) however if help is within reach O2 provision on the surface and a call to the emergency services/DAN would be a better course of action.

Now based on the PADI Charts, its impossible to get dcs even if the dive was way longer than 45 min. So basically my question is, is it possible to get DCS without going past the tables, even if you come up fast...

I figure the other guys have probably answered most of your questions so let's look to the future.

First of all, you're freaking out about a mistake. Relax, take a deep breath. There isn't a diver on this planet who hasn't made a mistake and it's all in the game.

It sounds to me like you have been misinformed about some aspects of DCS and decompression theory. I think it would be good if you did something to correct that. Asking questions on the forum is a good start.

For the future, obviously, you don't really want to dive on tables for longer than it takes you to save for a computer. using a computer simplifies life a lot and in the scenario you sketched it would have told you if your ascent was so fast that it caused a required stop that you missed.

For now, keep it shallow, get a computer and work on buoyancy control and task loading.

....... and just keep breathing. From the sounds of it you're at more risk from stress than you are from DCS.

R..

You should have put a fresh tank on and returned to the bottom for a few minutes and resurfaced at a very slow rate.

Almost never a good idea. As stated this diver barely knows their tables outside they exist, doesn't really understand them, and their grasp of DSC theory is about non-existent. Those are not the fundamentals to be basing in water decompression.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom