Age Discrimination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aguablanco1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Planning a cruise in the Caribbean this December and I have been charged with setting up diving for the group. I received the response below from one company, the one we won't be using. Why does any diver, especially one who has no health issues, over any age need a doctors note to dive? How about we fill out the medical questionnaire and let's go diving.

"Certified divers 2 tank dive US$100pp, will you need rental equipment? pick up and drop back to ship provided.

Divers should be certified and had a dive within the last 2 years. Any divers 70yrs of age or older OR any divers with medical issues MUST bring along a Dr's medical clearing them for diving.

To reserve dive booking please email or call with credit card details

Regards
Samantha
ALDive & Watersports
813-774-5254 US Line
767-275-3483 Local Line

On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 2:53 PM, Aldive WATER Sports <forms@formexperts.com> wrote:

Aldive Water Sports Inquiry

Name: Rich Harter
E-mail: rich@cgdinc.net
Phone:

Arrival Means: Cruise Ship

Arrival and Departure Dates

Dec 16, 2016 7 AM -4PM

Requested Information:
Single Day Scuba Diving_

Other Questions:
What can you do for 4 divers?"

I am by far a noob here...but i dont see the issue. Diving is considered an "extreme" activity in many regards. My own dental insurance wont cover me because of a clause about "pressure" related activities such as skydiving, scuba...etc.

I dont know your age, but 70 is an age where anything ( even just walking strenuously) is recommended to have a doctors approval/consultation. I dont see discrimination at all, as you nor noone else were excluded....other than a statement that those 70 or over ( come on...its an advanced age and every doctor in the world will say precautions need to be taken at that age) demonstrate via a doctors note that they are in reasonable good health 9 most 70 years old arent)

The reason is simple. If a person has a problem and there is an injury the chances are good that the place will be sued for not showing due diligence. Its all about liability. Given a form they will not check if the Dr knows diddly about diving or even if it is a real form. I cannot blame them.

PS: I am 70 as is one of my dive buddies. If a place ever asked me for the form I would just get it. I have an annual physical precisely to make sure (as sure as possible) that I have not developed a heart issue or other problem. However most of my diving now is in coastal NC and the ops know me. Never been asked for a form except in a class.

Interesting topic. The link talks about anyone over 65 not being accepted aboard, regardless of medical clearance. A bit different than a shop requiring a medical, but you can go. I have no idea what the legalities are in either case, nor how laws may change. Discrimination is touchy. "I own the business, it's my money invested and my liability--can't I take whatever clients I want?" Or, "I own the diner--can't I refuse service or employment to anyone I want?"--on this second case, I believe a lot of that thinking was (at least legally) outlawed 50-60 years ago, no? Well, let's look at Mississippi and North Carolina. I know, not in the same ballpark, but part of the interesting topic.

Which country is discriminating here?
The thread just references a Caribbean cruise as well.

There was another fairly long thread by a dive destination that was writing their policy and requirements for "older" divers. It was not well received. I will try and find that thread.

Found it. May be somewhat related.

DIVING OVER 50 YEARS OLD

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom