Blue Reef Deluxe Titanium Knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LazersGoPEWPEW

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've been browsing around for my first dive knife and saw the Blue Reef Deluxe Titanium on leisurepro for 65 bucks. Seems like a good deal but wanted to see if anyone had any experience with the knife before I pull the trigger. Still torn on blunt vs pointed.

Don't waste your money on expensive knives. Put that money toward something else. An expensive knife will just make you do something stupid if you drop it in deep water. Buy cheap knives and just rinse them when you are finished diving. When they get too rusty throw them out. I don't like blunt knives. If you really think you are going to stab yourself with a pointed knife maybe you shouldn't be carrying a knife or diving anyway.

Well I've held off on a knife purchase and ordered some EMT shears on sale for 6 bucks.

I have this knife. I have used it for 4 years. The first time I put it on for a dive was on a night dive from shore. I needed it the first time I wore it. I was caught up in some fishing line. I have worn it ever since. There is not a spot of rust on it after 200 dives. However, the plastic hilt just recently broke :( I will be buying a new one right away! I have the poited tip knife, but it is a matter of preference.

I don't see a need for such a large knife. They are tools and the longer blade can actually be more of a hinderance than helpful. I also don't see the need in having a point. The knife is there to cut and maybe even pry. I've had pointed tips break off of knives before when trying to pry something off.

Pointed knives are for the dispatching of fish that you may not have stoned.

I use a Deep Sea pointed dagger thing that is titanium.

No rust, holds its edge, rerely gets used.

It always gets ignored until needed.

If you are not hunting, a flat tip knife is a better idea.

And on a serious note:
Pointed Tip Dive Knives are primarily for killing sharks in close range fights.
I use the Johhny Weissmuller technique in my combat with sharks.
Generally upon my assuming the shark killing stance while submerged with the knife in my hand, the sharks laugh themselves to death (I learned it from Bruce Lee movies).

Chug
(Likes Sharks that do not bite me)

I prefer to buy my knives from companies that make knives for a living such as Spyderco or Benchmade. These two outfits make a bunch of cutting instruments designed for diving use. The blades are of high quality instead of cheap junks (titanium and whatnot).

I don't carry cheap knives because if I were to really have to use it, then I want it to cut through whatever that entraps me. Carrying a knife just because it's "the thing" to do so is really worthless. The same thing can be applied to Z-knives and shears. There are cheap shears out there that won't cut worth a damn either.

Either that or make sure that you only dive in places that have low probability of left behind fishing lines, nets, cords, etc.

I have this knife. I have used it for 4 years. The first time I put it on for a dive was on a night dive from shore. I needed it the first time I wore it. I was caught up in some fishing line. I have worn it ever since. There is not a spot of rust on it after 200 dives. However, the plastic hilt just recently broke :( I will be buying a new one right away! I have the poited tip knife, but it is a matter of preference.

Do you know who still makes this knife? I would like to buy a new one. Thanks.

I like the folding knives as long as they will actually open when needed. I quit carrying a knife and had sheers and the only time I deployed them they broke when I tried to cut, the rivet snapped. I went back to a titanium Tekna dagger and got a razor blade type "Z" cutter for monofilament. N

Do you know who still makes this knife? I would like to buy a new one. Thanks.
Scubapro SK-T.
Looks like the same exact knife and sheath.
Mako Spearguns also makes a knife that is the exact same blade and hilt shape but is black instead. The sheath is different.
My guess is they both source them at a 3rd party supplier like most diving accessories.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom