Raja Liveaboard in November - Hi all. I am having a hard time deciding which vessel to try.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all. Ok, looks like it might be coming down to Amire, or Indo Siren if they have space. On the outside of the list is Pindito and Woaw because of the expense. How would you all rate. All are 12 day 11/ night

So I am down to Indo Siren, Amire and Waow . How would you rate them> Waow is super expensive but not sure it is so much bette than the other two. Thoughts?

I don't know either, all I can tell you about WAOW, is what was told to me by someone that definitely knows and that person told me the WAOW blows boats like Dewi Nusantara out of the water, as it were. (Dewi Nusantara is an awesome boat and that I can testify to myself).

Last edited:
The diving should be the same. Consider the room layouts, reviews of the food and crew. Ask yourself if you really need to pay that much more for WAOW's interior decorating? :wink:

I loved the indo siren! But I cannot compare to your other options.

Just work out what you want out of the trip, see which will deliver, if all do then work out if the additional cost is worth the additional benefits to you.

FWIW, my wife and I are booked for a 12 day trip on Tambora about the middle of December. This trip is Sarong-Sarong, so the whole time will be in Raja Ampat. We chose Tambora because we did a trip with them last December and loved it. The boat is operated by the owner, a German engineer. Everything on the boat works and works correctly. I don't think I've ever seen that on any other liveaboard boat! Uwe took great care of us last year and I enjoyed the time I had with him. He goes on almost every dive himself. His Indonesian wife lives on the boat with him, along with their young son, and she also goes out whenever she can. I've done lots of liveaboard trips before and this boat is right at the top of my list...right up there next to Nai'a in Fiji.

You won't be disappointed with Tambora - my third trip with Uwe on Tamboa just a month away. I couldn't agree more re Uwe keeping the boat and every detail in perfect working order. As a sailor myself I have admiration and respect for his safety briefings and willingness to let me look around the parts of Tambora most divers would never be interested in. A class operation start to finish. The true master of Tambora (Felix) is I believe with Uche on land while another member of the family is in the pipeline :wink:

I also noticed the difference with an owner not just a cruise director onboard and diving almost every dive. Uwes passion for diving is an added bonus.

Class and Precision all the way with Tambora...wishing this month would hurry up so I can be back onboard - also booked a fourth trip on the same boat for next year.
FWIW, my wife and I are booked for a 12 day trip on Tambora about the middle of December. This trip is Sarong-Sarong, so the whole time will be in Raja Ampat. We chose Tambora because we did a trip with them last December and loved it. The boat is operated by the owner, a German engineer. Everything on the boat works and works correctly. I don't think I've ever seen that on any other liveaboard boat! Uwe took great care of us last year and I enjoyed the time I had with him. He goes on almost every dive himself. His Indonesian wife lives on the boat with him, along with their young son, and she also goes out whenever she can. I've done lots of liveaboard trips before and this boat is right at the top of my list...right up there next to Nai'a in Fiji.

I was on the Indo Siren many moons ago on the RA trip and it was amazing! BUT then again it was my one and only LOB so I have no frame of reference to compare other boats. BUT I would happily repeat the experience and thought it was worth every cent.

Undercurrent has a number of reports on many of those boats.

I have not heard of Amire, just make sure they have been sailing the area for at least 3-4 years. It takes a good long time to really get to know the sites and know when/ where to get the most out of them.

I took it she meant "Amira".

Hi Rachel,

- A scuba diving cruise is:

1) a destination 2) a human adventure 3) a boat designed for its activity 4) The cuisine 5) The crew 6) and yes...A budget

Concerning the domestic flights:

From LAX or any other airport in the US, Jakarta is way more convenient to reach Sorong than any other Int'l airport in Indonesia with the following recommandations for the domestic flights (Sorong is Jakarta time + 2):

- Nam air (direct): CGK-SOQ 0005-0610 / SOQ-CGK 1225-1635
- Garuda (Via Makassar): CGK-SOQ 2100-0630 or 2345-0845 / SOQ-CGK 1150-1340
NB: if Garuda Indonesia is well known for its 20 kg + 23 kg (for sport equipments/diving gear), Nam Air is also generous to divers with pretty much the same)
But Sriwijaya and Express air are also reliable.

More generally, Jakarta is the one to pick for every safari on the far east of Indonesia (Ambon / Banda Sea / Forgotten Island / Triton Bay).
Denpasar (Bali) is the best call for Komodo cruises but if your plan is to go to Raja Ampat, will oblige you to stay overnight in Makassar (minimum transit is 6 hours) before landing after 2 flights and at least 12 hours, at Sorong aiport.

We're so sorry the MV Ambai is already fully booked this November , but to have an overview of Raja Ampat wonders, please have a look:
Video credit: Stephen Martin

Have a wonderful experience in Indonesia

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom