Not your typical "How to secure octo" thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FFM ideally run from the left side with a 90* elbow and a hose going under your left arm and up.
Hmmm, if the FFM hose came from the left then it would also have to pass underneath my chin since the port is on the right side of the mask, even with an elbow attachment correct?

7' hose on the right post that is hog looped and clipped off to the right shoulder using this method below.
Interesting, so if the secondary was grabbed, the hose would simply uncoil from the tank bands and run through the bungee which is looped through my right D ring?

depends on the FFM, a lot of them can be switched to left side feed.

If you hog loop it, no need to coil on the tank. If you want to coil it on the tank, I'd still use that attachment method I linked to and just clip it off to the shoulder d-ring. Does basically the same thing as the octo keepers, just a bit more secure, and a lot easier to restow. When you have to restow, i.e. coming back on the boat, the long hoses have the advantage of being able to be looped around your body so you don't have to stuff anything back into the tank. 48" hose won't be a problem either way and in that case I'd still try to run the FFM from the left like what is pictured below, and then you have more flexibility with your hose routing
AGA.jpg

If you hog loop it, no need to coil on the tank.
Pardon my ignorance but I can't seem to find anything on the hog loop.

depends on the FFM, a lot of them can be switched to left side feed.
I use the Ocean Reef Space G at the moment, not sure if you can switch ports or not. I'll look into it.

When you have to restow, i.e. coming back on the boat, the long hoses have the advantage of being able to be looped around your body so you don't have to stuff anything back into the tank.
So literally wrap myself in the hose until returning?

I would recommend a non magnetic holder, this will allow you to be streamlined but without the added issue of a magnet getting to close to your compass.. try Innovative part number LRo645
LR0646-500x318.png

A "long" hose will go down behind your right shoulder and around to your front and then over your left shoulder, behind your neck and finally into your mouth or clipped to a right shoulder d-ring, that is a HOG loop.

I personally would just go with a 40" hose that does down behind your right should and then clipped to front right d-ring or even a 36" hose. Your argument for a "long" hose is flawed as you state you want a panicked diver to be far away from you. Well in order for this "panicked" diver to even get your gas they have to be close and I mean real close. Secondly, when you did your OW course and did your OOA drills were you taught to just give someone your reg and then separate yourself from them? In MY class we were taught to donate the "octo" (which I would not do as I use a streamlined OW setup, so OOA diver gets primary) and then secure the OOA diver by holding on to their BCD strap. You then make eye contact to attempt to calm the OOA diver and assure them that everything is fine and then give them an OK sign which they should be able to reply back with the OK and then surface together.

So in closing, as another poster stated you are mixing philosophies and are not picking the best parts to mix.

Last edited:
A "long" hose will go down behind your right shoulder and around to your front and then over your left shoulder, behind your neck and finally into your mouth or clipped to a right shoulder d-ring, that is a HOG loop.
Got it, however this presents a problem as my primary line will be directly above my secondary reg on my right shoulder causing a potential issue. (unless I can switch sides for my hose connection)

Your argument for a "long" hose is flawed as you state you want a panicked diver to be far away from you.
You took my words a bit out of context here. I was simply saying that the long hose gives me the ability to distance myself from a potentially panicked diver. Of course I would follow standard OOA procedure once my buddy is breathing again. All DIR materials I've read thus far uses this exact example as a benefit of the long hose for sharing.

So in closing, as another poster stated you are mixing philosophies and are not picking the best parts to mix.
IMO this is nitpicking. I understand that some folks are die hard about following certain methodologies to a tee and I can respect that. However the only difference here is the fact that I am using a FFM and moving OOA duties to my secondary instead of my primary. This would be discussed with any buddies prior to diving and would be just as reliable to execute.

Then your octo should be carried exactly as you were taught in OW as you would be following the standard OW teaching for air share. Since you would not be donating your primary, the last thing I would do would be to add a HOG loop/long hose into the equation of a FFM. You are obviously rec diving and have simply chosen to use a FFM, therefore keep the same setup as you would with a traditional rec configuration for the octo. Live long and prosper.

Since you would not be donating your primary, the last thing I would do would be to add a HOG loop/long hose into the equation of a FFM.
This brings up a good point, is the hog loop the only way to manage a long hose?

From what I've read it seems for my scenario keeping the long hose coiled against the tank is the best option. In the case a OOA situation did occur and then for whatever reason the secondary reg is handed back to me, I can finish up the dive using a hog loop.

Last edited:
Of course not, but it is one of the better/best ways. The other is to band it to a tank in side mount.

This brings up a good point, is the hog loop the only way to manage a long hose?

From what I've read it seems for my scenario keeping the long hose coiled against the tank is the best option. In the case a OOA situation did occur and then for whatever reason the secondary reg is handed back to me, I can finish up the dive using a hog loop.

not the only, but it's the easiest and if you use bungees on the tank it will be what you have to go to in the event that you are sharing air to climb back onto a boat.

If you have to run the FFM off of the right, you can still manage this with a 90* elbow or ball swivel on the FFM, it's hose goes under your right shoulder and up, then the long hose comes in next to it and around and up. The 48" hose you said you bought is a rather annoying length to deal with imho because it isn't long enough to wrap around your body like the 5' and 7' hoses are, but it's too long to not have to tuck into something.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom