3d printing scuba gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ericgoesdeep

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hey guys, I just happened to purchase a resin based 3d printer. I wanted to know if anyone here has ever tried 3d printing any Scuba gear?

I've seen tons of design files online so wanted to give them a shot.

UPDATE: Like these swimming fins:
Palmiga Swiming Fins @ Pinshape

Love to hear some real stories or if you have any actual pictures, that would be awesome.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I just happened to purchase a resin based 3d printer. I wanted to know if anyone here has ever tried 3d printing any Scuba gear?

I've seen tons of design files online so wanted to give them a shot.

UPDATE: Like these swimming fins:
Palmiga Swiming Fins @ Pinshape

Love to hear some real stories or if you have any actual pictures, that would be awesome.

Thingiverse currently shows 66 scuba-related items. Some are quite useful and interesting, some not so much.

You might be able to find more by using other diving-related keywords besides "SCUBA"

Good luck and enjoy the new toy. I'm planning on getting a 3D printer very soon

I have a FDM printer, and have successfully printed din regulator caps, din cylinder plugs, go pro red filter mount that takes Regular camera lens red filter, and a GoPro camera tray. It is certainly possible

Thx for the info guys. From my research though, apparently there are two types of printer. FDA and Resin. Resin are expensive but the product that comes out is world class. Can you you guys recommend a brand?

Yep. Two types.
FDM, which is your typical 3D printer, lays down molten plastic in layers. Which depending on settings and such can look alright or terrible. Gotta play with it. (Note this can be smoothed and fixed nicely in most cases with several different methods). FDM printers are pretty simple and in most cases can be user repairable, upgradeable.

Resin printers are only just starting to get popular in the "home" setting and use UV light to harden liquid resin in layers. And does typically come out looking smooth. resin printers have a higher purchase cost, generally speaking. And as far as I know are not largely user repairable, upgradeable and the resin is pretty expensive if I remember correctly.

As far as brands go. I have a PrintRBot Metal Plus, FDM printer wasn't crazy expensive when you look at the 10x10x10 build plate, with heated bed option.

If you are looking to get into basic prints and just want something to tinker with - I would look at Prusa i3 variants...I have a few set up here. (sold them for a while then stopped once I got busy at work...come to think of it I literally have 3 sitting in boxes not even open....) they are a lot cheaper then many other options and with a larger build volume, just don't get a cheap acrylic model.

If you feel like this may be the "category" you are interested in and want to bounce some stuff off me, feel free to PM me seeing at your also in Canada maybe we set up a phone call. If you are looking for "world class" prints and you have no budget then this may not be your solution. I bought a $4000 3d printer from bestbuy... i kid you not, it was WAY worse then the $400 machine set up here. 3d printing is fun and I used it as motivation to learn how to design files on the computer, its still not "make your own regulator housing" but little weird gadgets can be made. Just take a peek at thingiverse and you can get lost in any of the categories.

I've been printing replace BCD flanges for months now, with more than 30 BCDs repaired (those of the dive school where I work) and some of third party.
Besides, I've printed some parts for scuba regulators, parts for a Full Face Mask, Cave arrows, Cave cookies and a Cave Reel, and some other minor parts.
Also some thing for home and my car, like soap holder, missing caps, etc.
Only few designs are from Thingiverse, the majority of my prints were designed be me with FreeCAD.

3208eac8-119a-45b9-b5b7-43f2a61d3bfa.jpg IMG_5171.JPG IMG_5173.JPG IMG_4871.JPG IMG_4935.JPG Cave_arrow.png

Attachments

• IMG_4846.JPG
    IMG_4846.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 218
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom