Just found out she was pregnant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDRINK25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So wife found out she was pregnant and is currently 4 weeks along. We have a dive trip to the GBR on a liveaboard for 4 days in 4 weeks. What can we do? Should she scratch all diving or do you think shallower sites will be ok? Say 40' and under.

You're asking a question that nobody knows the answer to. If DAN says there's not enough research to make an educated opinion on diving while pregnant, I really doubt some diver guy on the Internet sitting in his easy chair eating Cheetos is gonna know the answer. But I'm sure some Internet physics researcher wannabe member will give you and answer soon, given the old ScubaBoard reputation of "We know more than you'll ever know about diving and we don't mind telling you why." attitude. :)

Congratulations on your news.

DAN | Medical Frequently Asked Questions

Last edited:
Right.... Just looking for her to do non strenuous dives less than 1 meter. I feel I would be taking more of a risk traveling to the caribbean or central/south America with the current Zika status.

I'm not a medical professional, but no one really knows the answer to this question as far as I'm aware.

My two cents: If I were her, I wouldn't go diving. Why take a possible risk? It's just not worth it. There's always more diving. Can you imagine if there was an issue having to wonder whether some dives made a difference?

(Side note: You could possibly get some of your money back. I got mine back when I wasn't medically cleared to dive.)

Congrats on the news!

Do you have trip cancellation insurance? Does it cover this?

I'll put my Cheetos down long enough to recommend that your wife refrain from diving completely. You (I assume) don't want to experiment on your unborn child.

Now to get this bloody orange powder off my keyboard.....

Best regards,
DDM

Years ago, as an undergrad we were required to write a research paper in our ENX101 class. I chose the topic of pregnancy and diving, wondering if the statement which I heard when going through my Basic Open Water class "no diving while pregnant because there is no information or research on the topic" is true or not. When I became an instructor I heard the same thing. Before writing my paper I did a lot of reading on the issue. There have been some studies in retrospect on the topic.

Here is something I learned, the fetus can get decompression sickness while the mother may not. How does one determine if the fetus is bent or not? If the mother isn't why would she suspect her fetus is. If the mother has the malady that can determined. Here is the main concern, to treat decompression sickness the mother, along with her fetus, obviously, are placed into a chamber and treated at pressure while breathing pure oxygen during the treatment. During growth a fetus is very sensitive to high concentrations of oxygen. Too much O2 can leave the fetus blind after birth.

In the studies on goats, and the retrospect surveys with woman, showed no maladies or abnormal effects from diving on the infant after birth. One lady, who had a rapid ascent from 50' (during the second trimester, if I remember correctly), had a baby that suffered from deformities. It was determined that her birth fell into the small percentage of babies born with deformities, meaning it could not be determined whether or not the diving and/or the rapid ascent were the cause of the abnormality.

While it is true that no direct studies have been conducted on women who dive while pregnant, there is scant information that suggests the chance of injury or otherwise is minimal during the first trimester; second and third trimester are unknown. The question for each mother is whether or not it is worth the risk given very little information as to how safe or risky breathing compressed gas under pressure is for her developing fetus.

I still have the paper if you are interested.

Last edited:
I'm not a medical professional, but no one really knows the answer to this question as far as I'm aware.

"J Obstet Gynaecol. 2006 Aug;26(6):509-13.

Scuba diving and pregnancy: can we determine safe limits?

St Leger Dowse M, Gunby A, Moncad R, Fife C, Bryson P.

Diving Diseases Research Centre, Hyperbaric Medical Centre, Plymouth, UK. marguerite@mstld.co.uk

No human data, investigating the effects on the fetus of diving, have been published since 1989. We investigated any potential link between diving while pregnant and fetal abnormalities by evaluating field data from retrospective study No.1 (1990/2) and prospective study No.2 (1996/2000). Some 129 women reported 157 pregnancies over 1,465 dives. Latest gestational age reported while diving was 35 weeks. One respondent reported 92 dives during a single pregnancy, with two dives to 65 m in the 1st trimester. In study No.2 >90% of women ceased diving in the 1st trimester, compared with 65% in the earlier study. Overall, the women did not conduct enough dives per pregnancy, therefore no significant correlation between diving and fetal abnormalities could be established. These data indicate women are increasingly observing the diving industry recommendation and refraining from diving while pregnant. Field studies are not likely to be useful, or the way forward, for future diving and pregnancy research. Differences in placental circulation between humans and other animals limit the applicability of animal research for pregnancy and diving studies. It is unlikely that the effect of scuba diving on the unborn human fetus will be established."

Why risk it?

Regards,

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom