Hero 4 Silver vs. Hero 5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Ignite website shows ZERO indication of infrastructure. No info on accessories. No ability to get updated firmware. No PC-side software to use for post-processing. No detailed specs. No FAQ. No downloadable documentation. No way to contact Support.

In other words, no way to tell if it's $220 well spent or wasted.

I can only find this, which does not say "Ultra" in the name, but it is the price you said.

Ignite 4K Sports Action Cameras – Ignite 4K Sports Action Cameras

and here: Ignite 4K Waterproof Sports Camera - Tornado Tech

Their best housing is only good for 40m. The GoPro Dive housing is rated for 60m. Do you know if this camera will work with that?

Also, the specs say 4K @ 25fps, not 60. And the specs for battery life say:

So, I guess your video was 1080p@30?

I wonder how the low light performance compares to a GoPro.

Will the GoPro housing work with the Ignite? Yes because it's the one I use. All the buttons are in the same location on the Ignite so the buttons on the GoPro housing work just like they should. I don't know about the lighting performance as I don't have anything to compare to.

My videos are 1080@30 fps. I didn't shoot it at 1080@60fps because I didn't want to have to work with and upload a 5 gigabyte file. The 1080@30 fps was 2.2 gig and I had to give the Google data mining corporation a fake cell phone number to sell to the telemarketers to be "allowed" to upload a file that large to my YouTube account. Huge files are just too much a hassle unless you do it professionally had buy the storage space.

http://www.diveradioisland.com/images/Ignite.jpg

Attachments

• Ignite.jpg
    Ignite.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I got the GoPro wrist housing because the Ignite came with like 7 various kinds of mounts but nothing as convenient as the GoPro wrist dive housing. Originally I made a 2 foot long "selfie stick" style holder but that was just something extra to have to carry on a dive so I just use that when I go diving for the purpose of making a video. The stick lets me put the camera out in front of me and get into hard to reach places on the rock jetty, but the wrist housing is just more convenient. I can turn the camera on and flip it up and use the velcro strap to secure it then when I'm done, it just folds back down on my wrist. The stick I have to haul around for the rest of the dive.

Then the dive shop had the fancy GoPro red filter and you had to buy the frame to attach it separately. Total cost about $60 bucks. I use the Polar Pro red filter and it was $29.99. It snaps right on/off the 60mm GoPro housing. I can't tell $30 difference between the "GoPro clear red plastic" and the "Polar Pro clear red plastic" LOL.

Attachments

• GoProHousing.jpeg
    GoProHousing.jpeg
    73.1 KB · Views: 49
The Ignite website shows ZERO indication of infrastructure. No info on accessories. No ability to get updated firmware. No PC-side software to use for post-processing. No detailed specs. No FAQ. No downloadable documentation. No way to contact Support.

In other words, no way to tell if it's $220 well spent or wasted.

You couldn't find accessories on their website? Seriously guy??? LOL. Your prescription dive mask must have 2 inch thick lenses on it. :) It has eight categories and stretches across the whole top of the page. LOL

And their support phone number and email is down at the bottom of the page. I emailed them at 11 pm and got a reply by 9am the next day regarding ordering a spare battery. (which was 9 bucks VS $20 for the GoPro. You;ll be surprised. the battery is a 1050 Milliamp-hour battery and the GoPro is an 1100 milliamp-hour battery. The only difference is GoPro spaces the three contacts further apart on their battery so you are forced to use their battery rather than an after market battery.

I'm not concerned about any manufacturer provided software to edit my video. Anything I dislike more than a manufacturer who prices their product 3 times over retail is a manufacturer who provides proprietary software than is three times crappier than what I can buy off the shelf.

To each his own, though.

Attachments

• Ignite.png
    Ignite.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 54
This is their website, right?

Ignite 4K Sports Action Cameras – Ignite 4K Sports Action Cameras

I don't see any accessories listed there. Nor any way to check for updated firmware. Nor any info on housings that will work with it. Etc..

Apparently they have two websites. One for the actual product and one for the company that manufactures the product.

Anyway, Tornado Tech manufactures the camera and their website is

Tornado Tech

It has all the accessories and contact info, etc.

I see the Ignite website doesn't have the accessories or contact like you say. Confusing way to market if you ask me.
I ordered a spare battery. The documentation says the recording time is a little over an hour with a fresh battery. That means on a 2-tank dive It'll probably bomb out midway the second dive. With 2 batteries I can swap them during the surface interval. I figured without a fresh spare for the second dive, my luck would be the battery died 5 minutes before the 12 foot shark ate my buddy and I didn't get it on video. :)

Last edited:
This is the PVC stick I made. Not fancy but only cost like three bucks worth of materials. I use it if I'm going diving intending to make a video. It is more flexible to use and gets me closer than the wrist housing.

Attachments

• DiveCamStick.jpg
    DiveCamStick.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 56
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom