What do you wear under a wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skin tight jammers (like boxer briefs, used in triathlons) that I put loose board shorts over for modesty's sake when on surface intervals or otherwise just hanging around.

This is a question that I've been searching for an optimal solution. I typically dive in the tropics using a 2 piece wet suit: light neoprene pants, and a front zip neoprene jacket. Underneath, I usually just keep on what I was wearing when I walked on the boat: nylon shorts (usually Patagonia baggies) and a rash guard top-long or short sleeved. Makes me look lumpy sometimes, but I'm OK with that. The two piece solution allows me to take off the the top or bottom or both during the interval before the next dive. The problem is that I still have on wet garments. I think all the stuff I use is "quick-dry". But maybe not quick enough.
Any other solutions? Other than going in and out of commando mode on a small boat, and bringing a wardrobe aboard?

Last edited:
I've found it hard to find swim trunks that aren't long (like NBA shorts) these days. If you can find one don't lose it (as I have twice left a pair in port-o-potties after changing).

Thank you all for your answers. I think I'll pass on the thongs and go with the lycra and see if I can find a polo suit as well! THANK YOU

You don't know you're missing.............seriously.

Holes in the neoprene from those squirrelly teeth I presume?

Leave it to SB!!!! I was going to vote for gr8jab's response as the best...but then along comes evad and kelemvor! I was hurting, I laughed so hard. I'm truly afraid to ask where one would find a rat thong!

Ok, so back to the OP, I switch between wearing just a pair of moderate length shorts or a shorty lavacore (lycra). If I feel like I need the extra thermal protection, the lava core adds a small bit to my core. Otherwise, I just go in shorts, or do anyway if I forget my lava core.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom