Computer Panic!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The best dive computer (or computers) will never replace the gray matter between the ears. First action in any emergency is THINK!. Glad there was no panic and bolt. You didn't indicate if this was dive one of the day (sounded like it) but presumably not dive 4-6. That said, there is no way she could have an 83 minute deco obl on an 80 ft dive for 22 minutes. Turning the dive was the right thing to do even if she had 1800lbs air left. Well done keeping a level head and assisting a fellow (what's the female of fellow) diver.
It was day 3, second dive. From what I have found, Zoops have a sensor issue. Strange that both failed at the same time with different outrageous times.

Both computer saying she had a deco obligation sounds like something temporarily affected the pressure gauge. I know diving near an iron ship can affect the compass, but what can fool both pressure gauges?
I dont know. It was like the computers had a coding error and just started spitting out numbers randomly.

It was like the computers had a coding error
Of course I'm far from an expert on the fine points of electronics and coding, but I can't see any way that this was a one time simultaneous malfunction of each computer, so I have to think it's some kind of bug. If it was sensor errors the computers would have given incorrect depth readings; that would be in the recorded profile even if it wasn't noticed at the time. While that's possible, even if unlikely, how would reported deco times of 55 and 83 minutes have cleared during the ascent? That makes me figure there has to be some problem with the code, even if it only manifests itself under very particular circumstances.

Lot of mixed things. could the depth sensor been plugged at depth from being too tight on the wrist. going up divers tend to grab the computer and turn it to read better but that should not explain the deco obligation clearing at safety stop. A comment made by perhaps dumpster made me think about how important knowing the basics of tables are as a method of validating the computer information is right or wrong. You can always fall to the 120 rule and go up in half depths as a cautionary tactic. Interesting account just the same.

This is just the kind of event that concerns me when it comes to electronics and diving. I like my PDCs and usually use at least one on every dive if for nothing to create a log of the dive. However I never rely on those devices. Having worked in the high tech electronics business building and testing very large data storage devices for the last 20 years my faith in electronics is not as high as others might be. Also knowing that a lot of the PDCs electronics are built in the same country and maybe by the same people as some of the systems I test, doesn't do much to bolster my faith.

For me a watch and analog depth are required equipment. Also as the OP mentions depths and NDLs on a slate; I have a permanent list that I can refer to during a dive.

It's good that Amy had a buddy that didn't believe the impossible just because a digital read out indicated it had happened.

Also the NC boats I've been on have regulators in the water at the SS, another good practice. If a diver wants to extend the SS the air is available.

One word "Dive Tables" ok that's two words. What I am trying to say is even though the advances in dive computers just like any electronic device it can and will fail at the worst possible time. I have had the same dive computer for quite a few years and I get the batteries changed every two years whether it needs it or not. So why dive tables, I have made thousands of dive over the last 45 years of diving, the dives I have made are engrained in mind so not only do I have a computer I still use a dive watch and an SPG. So if you remember how to "drown the rat" you wont panic when your computer fails. I still teach dive tables along with the computer.

As somebody with a very old, but reliable computer (for which I receive much derision) I am unimpressed with the unreadabilty, leaks, flakey/bizarre behavior so often reported by owners of newer computers.

The OP's post does nothing to change this impression. A computer that induces panic in a diver (even if one should know better) is a hazard in itself.

As somebody with a very old, but reliable computer (for which I receive much derision) I am unimpressed with the unreadabilty, leaks, flakey/bizarre behavior so often reported by owners of newer computers.

You dive a brick? A buddy of mine has been diving one since it came out back in the '80's without a problem.

Bob
--------------
For the youngsters, Orca Edge = The Brick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom