Hog D2 Environmental Seal Burst

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all, I am no longer with HOG but am aware that the diaphragm used in regs around the time I left had a couple batches had some (very few ) diaphragms that one side (grey)that allowed leak past to the cloth membrane in the middle then it would migrate to the side of the diaphragm and a tiny bit of gas would enter the environmental chamber and can push the environmental seal out.

I am actually in Taiwan now and for my new regs had sourced a different material on my last trip.. it's really good.

Long story short I have talked with the mutual supplier of my regs and HOG's and they are going to send HOG some to test and validate, and if HOG is happy with them supply them no charge.

Please give HOG a little while to get and test and I am 100% confident that they will make this right to anybody who had this issue.

Last edited:
Hi all, I am no longer with HOG but am aware that the diaphragm used in regs around the time I left had a couple batches had some (very few ) diaphragms that one side (grey)that allowed leak past to the cloth membrane in the middle then it would migrate to the side of the diaphragm and a tiny bit of gas would enter the environmental chamber and can push the environmental seal out.
I took a look at my service kits.
View attachment 383179
20161008_050317.jpg
20161008_050305.jpg

So to be safe, I must assemble it with the black side on the IP side and gray side on the enviro chamber?

Last edited:
I took a look at my service kits.
View attachment 383179
View attachment 383180
View attachment 383181

So to be safe, I must assemble it with the black side on the IP side and gray side on the enviro chamber?

I always assemble this way. I teach the HOG reg course and wrote the service procedure for the D2 and D3. Keeping the grey on the enviro chamber side I've not seen any issues with mine, my customers, or my reg class student regs. I teach the class with this orientation of the diaphragm.

I always assemble this way. I teach the HOG reg course and wrote the service procedure for the D2 and D3. Keeping the grey on the enviro chamber side I've not seen any issues with mine, my customers, or my reg class student regs. I teach the class with this orientation of the diaphragm.

Thanks!

Unfortunately I live on the other side of the world where I do not have access to such a class or the materials. Maybe TDI can offer the manual online, as it does with its other courses. I just service them as I would an Apeks reg.

Reach out to HOG
Thanks!

Unfortunately I live on the other side of the world where I do not have access to such a class or the materials. Maybe TDI can offer the manual online, as it does with its other courses. I just service them as I would an Apeks reg.

Reactions: Pao
The manufacturer surmised a possibility that the thrust washer torque was improper and offered warranty service. I dove the reg yesterday in the quarry with no issue. There still has to be a small leak around or through the diaphragm.

I'm too curious to just send it in for service. Think I'll open it up, get to know it real well.

IP checked and found to be at 140 psi. I don't have a spanner on hand so I can get to the diaphragm yet. The HP seat is fine. There is definitely a leak. from the IP side to the chamber.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pao
The manufacturer surmised a possibility that the thrust washer torque was improper and offered warranty service. I dove the reg yesterday in the quarry with no issue. There still has to be a small leak around or through the diaphragm.

I'm too curious to just send it in for service. Think I'll open it up, get to know it real well.

IP checked and found to be at 140 psi. I don't have a spanner on hand so I can get to the diaphragm yet. The HP seat is fine. There is definitely a leak. from the IP side to the chamber.
Found that the diaphragm thrust washer was not properly seated,just as suspected by Jack. One edge was curled and extruded into the last couple of threads. This made it very difficult to remove the retainer and contributed to the tiny leak.

I must say I have received excellent support from Jack.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom