INON Dome Port for OLY 8mm Fisheye?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carvemeister

Registered
Reaction score
Beginner here in the UW world, but longtime photographer - just putting together my first rig and have yet to get a camera wet underwater. But I'm going in pretty heavy (more than I expected). I'm using my E-M5 in an OLY PT-EP08 housing. I have 1 Z-240 to start with, tray & arms. Have the 12-50 with a PPO-EP01 port for starters.

I also have the OLY 8mm 1.8 fisheye which I'd love to use as well. Question is, has anyone used the INON dome specifically designed for the 1.8 fisheye? If not, how is the quality of INON domes in general?

Obviously, the OLY PPO-EP02 would probably be the best optically since it's made by a Lens company, but the price is pretty steep. It seems the INON dome port, which is just a few mm smaller (132x78 vs 148x91) and nearly half the weight (453g vs 700g) is also "multi-coated optical glass."

It's half the price as well (vs. Japan ebay), here: http://www.divervision.com/inon-dome-port-olympus-ep02-for-olympus-m-zuiko-8mm-fisheye-pro-om-d-mount-456212143811.html?language=en&currency=USD&gclid=Cj0KEQiA_MK0BRDQsf_bsZS-_OIBEiQADPf--ovbf6nrNeFZRdN37aiMTCh8X9t9mLiO_lj8C0FhYsEaAoHT8P8HAQ

So, I'm just wondering if the INON might be worth a shot. Has anyone has used their domes and if so, what might I be sacrificing vs. going with the Olympus Dome?

Thanks!
Don

Don't know about that dome particularly, but Inon has a very good reputation for wet lenses/underwater optics.

I am in the same dilemma. My instructor told me that inon quality is on par with Oly's but much cheaper.

My guess is the quality probably is very similar. Only problem I've had is getting my hands on one. I had ordered it a few months ago from Divervision. They charged me right away for it even though they apparently never had one in stock as their website claimed, and continues to claim. They jerked me around for weeks and weeks until I finally said to refund my money, which to their credit, they did without any issues. They were also very good to reply via email, another good thing, but all I kept hearing was Oh, the manufacturer ran out, but they promised us they'd ship us one in 2 weeks. I waited, nothing, emailed again and "oh, sorry it was delayed, two more weeks! Then nothing -again - Oh, it's on it's way, will be here Monday! Ok good - then nothing, "Sorry, it got stuck in customs -will be here Next Monday, can you wait? Me - NO, I've had enough, give me my refund now! They did. All along I complained as to why they still listed it as in stock, but they didn't address that false tale. Sorry for the rant!! Anyhow, I would probably not order from them again unless it was for something I had the time to wait 6 months to get. I do think they'll eventually get it to you, but they're dishonest about what they actually have in stock. I know I can find the INON dome somewhere stateside for a bit more and will probably go for it before my next trip. But I never got it for my trip to the Keys last month, so I can't really say anything about it other then my semi-useless Divervision rant :)

The Inon dome is very nice, I think it is optically as good as the OLY port. The price from Diversion is very very low, the current price in the US is about $900 or so.
Bill

I use INON dome with 8 mm fisheye and Oly housing. It is compatible. For the quality, I don' tknow because I am very new in this hobby but I have told that the larger the dome is, the wider the picture will be.

My guess is the quality probably is very similar. Only problem I've had is getting my hands on one. I had ordered it a few months ago from Divervision. They charged me right away for it even though they apparently never had one in stock as their website claimed, and continues to claim. They jerked me around for weeks and weeks until I finally said to refund my money, which to their credit, they did without any issues. They were also very good to reply via email, another good thing, but all I kept hearing was Oh, the manufacturer ran out, but they promised us they'd ship us one in 2 weeks. I waited, nothing, emailed again and "oh, sorry it was delayed, two more weeks! Then nothing -again - Oh, it's on it's way, will be here Monday! Ok good - then nothing, "Sorry, it got stuck in customs -will be here Next Monday, can you wait? Me - NO, I've had enough, give me my refund now! They did. All along I complained as to why they still listed it as in stock, but they didn't address that false tale. Sorry for the rant!! Anyhow, I would probably not order from them again unless it was for something I had the time to wait 6 months to get. I do think they'll eventually get it to you, but they're dishonest about what they actually have in stock. I know I can find the INON dome somewhere stateside for a bit more and will probably go for it before my next trip. But I never got it for my trip to the Keys last month, so I can't really say anything about it other then my semi-useless Divervision rant :)
I had an issue with warranty support with DiverVision.com. Ask them about product warranty and their return policy before you buy anything from them.

The one made for PT-EP10 is glass.... Can't go wrong with glass except for the weight. And also it has much much higher scratch resistance. But if u happen to scratch it, it's going to be tough to polish it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom