Florida Keys Diving Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbrook008

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We're taking a family vacation to the Florida keys (Key Largo to Key West) Dec-30 through Jan-5. Only two of us dive, so we're probably looking at only one or two two-tank dives. Any suggestions on dive operators (we're used to small boats) and or dive sites? I assume a wet suit is recommended for that time of year? We only have about 30 dives logged (most in Cozumel) but are confident in most conditions. Any other tips would be helpful.

If you like small boats, Quiessece is a nice choice. They only run six packs. If you want a guide, for no additional cost, Rainbow Reef is a good choice but their boats are big and usually full. I like Conch Republic Divers the best.... their main boat is big, but seldom completely sold out so there is almost always a lot of room to stretch out. I like the staff too: many of them have been there for years and are top notch.

As far as sites, I like the deep wrecks. Almost all the shallow reefs are really nice too so either way, you shouldn't be disappointed. My favorite reef is a deeper one known as Conch Wall, it can be dove on top of the reef ledge at 50 feet or on the bottom at 100 feet. Lots of eels, lobster and interesting things.

We're taking a family vacation to the Florida keys (Key Largo to Key West) Dec-30 through Jan-5. .

Are you just looking for dive op's in Largo & KW or staying at other towns along the way?

Key Marathon- Halls Diving; sombrero Reef
I had a 1.5mm wetsuit and it was very comfortable

Key west- southpoint divers; USS Vandenberg!
No wetsuit, bottom temp was high 70's. The "Vandy" is an amazing wreck dive.

A few years back diving with Rainbow Reef Dive Center (trip report; happy with them; be mindful their location moved a bit) out of Key Largo, one trip to the deep wrecks, a couple of guys got on who were OW only, not AOW (Advanced OW certified). That was required to be allowed to do those dives. The Captain offered to take a look at their log books, but they didn't have those on them, either. So they didn't get to do those 2 dives.

My point is, if you want to do the Spiegel Grove, Duane or Bibb, better get AOW. Not sure about other dive op. policies, but if this is an issue, check in advance!

Richard.

Looe Key National Marine Sanctuary is a pretty nice dive, mostly 25' or less. It's accessed from Big Pine Key, about 25 mi above Key West. Looe Key Dive Center is a decent operation, and there are several others, including a couple with six-pack or slightly larger boats.

I don't know what to expect that time of year as far as conditions, but it is generally suited to novice divers.

The keys are full of dive ops and great sites to dive. We were there last spring and are going again in March.

Be sure you dive with an op that is near where you are staying. No point driving up and down the overseas highway when there are dive ops and cool dive sites everywhere. I have used and recommend Captain's Corner, Dive Key West, and Conch Republic. Seems like most of the boats in the Keys are larger than six-packs, but not ridiculously so.

Conch Republic has been my absolute favorite for many years now. You'll appreciate the larger boat because winter seas can be a bit sporty. I've been on their big boat and their small boat and have never felt crowded. Also, they are just a bit further south of Key Largo so there is a whole lot less boat traffic overhead to make you nervous.

If you call Capt. Gary or Admiral Brenda at Conch, they are able to save you big bucks on your lodging as well.

Speaking of lodging, you'll be there during maybe the busiest week of the year. If you have not yet booked your lodging (and rental vehicle if needed), do it today! Prepare for massive traffic on OverSeas Highway and long waits in restaurants. Definitely take the Turnpike through Broward and Dade to get to Key Largo, if you take US 1 you will want to shoot yourself.

Still...you'll be in the KEYS! :)

I forgot to address the wetsuit issue. It is very personal. Some people just dive in a skin in the winter. I wear 5 mil in the Keys in winter and freeze. So it depends on your personal warmth factor.

My experience with non-diver family around that time in Key Largo was not great (for them). I had a ball diving, but there isn't much to do for non-divers in KL. KW has the better social life.

YMMV

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom