Close call in the dressing room

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My buddy got his drysuit back from service earlier this year. On buddy checking on the boat, he spotted a second inflator where the dump should be. Undeterred, he still jumped in. To ascend, he improvised an American up-line (he put the reel around the wreck, and did a controlled foot-first acent by relling himself up.)

:rofl3: Now THAT is hilarious! Did he lose his bolt snap?
All new meaning for DoingItReel=DIR

I had a female customer come in to be fitted for a 7mm wetsuit for her OW dives at our local quarry. I'm usually pretty good at assessing wetsuit sizes but this one was was going to be a problem.

She stood about 4'10" and weighed about 220lbs. I had no idea what to do. I tried every women's rental wetsuit we had. No fit. Eventually she used a Men's XXL with the sleeves rolled back up to her elbows and the legs folded back up to her knees. I had to do all of this with a look of utmost seriousness (which it was). I swear that she must have lost at least a pound while trying them all on. The sounds emanating from the dressing room were absolutely scary. But she was determined and ultimately had no problem doing her checkouts even with 14mm over her arms and legs. Turns out she was wearing a 14/7 wetsuit!

Ok after reading this whole thread I think I am ready to post. I almost died from just reading it. I'm 6'4" and about 180lbs wet.
Was going to go for my OW dives and need a 7mm. Went in to the LDS and was given the framer john i think it was a L so go back into the changing room which has a door on it. I don't think this has AC and its June in Michigan and the compressor is running. So I get my feet in to the bottoms and start to pull it up and got my one arm in the hole but its not going anymore and I,m starting to sing soprano. So i get them pack off and go ask for the next size up back in there and the bottoms went on still tight but was able to get both arms in and the Velcro closed. was a lot of work and was hot a sweaty. Next to get a top on so i grab the XL that i was given and get my leg in and then my arms in all is good im thinking much easier then the bottoms. well no had chicken wings remember in 6'4" and skinny so onto a large top it fit but not built for my height nice amount of pulling to get it to go on and slip into place . Getting off was a real challenge being it was a front zip twisting and pulling finally get it off and conclude that it will work for the weekend of diving. Fast forward a few weeks and im in a used sporting goods store and fine a nice 7mm sim-dry wet-suit. I go ask where i can try it on and they point me to the restroom. Getting on was for the most part easy granted this is a front zip across the shoulders and its my first time trying to get one on. So I was able to slip my head in well its about 1/2 size too small. ok ill get out of this it will be easy I thought. Boy was I wrong I'm not meant to bend in the way need to get out of it got the head seal stuck around my ears and i have my neck bent and some angle and I'm turning red. My only thought is ill have to get cut out off it or be stuck in it for ever more but by some miracle i am able to get it off and this took about 20 min or so all read hot and sweaty. I put it back and said never again to anything but a back zip.

Went in to the LDS and was given the framer john

So is the FRAMER john kind of like a FARMER john but comes complete with hammer, saw, and a level? :D
Or...... is that where carpenters go to well, GO??? :wink:

Well fantastic thread !

My only contribution is removing a full 3mm underwater. Turns out when you try to slip both shoulders out at once and get the sleeves inverted over your hands it's a bad time to try to remove the overlooked dive computer and compass keeping the wrists snug. . .

Also turns out a good mouthpiece is worth it's weight in lead when your air supply is trying to part ways with the embarrassing antics happening on the other end of the hose. . . .

And yes , it was rectified underwater and never spoken of again until this thread deserved the telling .

Million dollar question, did DAN deserve a call?

Anonymously,
Cameron

P.s. Perhaps I've finally confessed the real reason I solo dive.

WHY were you trying to remove a wet suit underwater?

That's the big question in my mind!

Yes, great thread. Reminds me of the time I went horseback riding. I slipped out of the saddle and fell. My foot got hung in the stirrup and I was dragged along the ground. My head was hitting the ground as the horse galloped and the lights were going out. I thought I was a goner for sure. Just at the moment, the Wal Mart attendant came out and unplugged the horse, saving my life!

WHY were you trying to remove a wet suit underwater?

That's the big question in my mind!
Come on! That's the most famous question in the history of ScubaBoard! Go to Google and check out "Warhammer Maneuver." It should be the first image you get in the images section. You can't do a warhammer maneuver properly without removing the wetsuit first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom