Doc Deep dies during dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know that this post is old, but I recently came across the post on Facebook and read through this thread and found it very interesting. I'm a recrational diver only but learned a lot from the discussions.

Just curious if there ever was any more definitive information released? I assume nothing else was (video, dive profiles, autopsy info, lawsuits) other than drowning as the cause of death which the widow provided in her last statement. Google didn't turn up anything...

Not as far as anyone has mentioned. It's possible that something might get released if the rumored lawsuit happened. The whole situation is sad and depressing in it's predictability.

As we wait for more information, don't forget the first rule of Scuba: Don't hold your breath!

Thanks. I believe I saw that the Coast Guard did an investigation. Is it usual for them to not disclose any findings?
Only if they decided to hold a public hearing. Investigations can take place from the local office all the way up to the ALJ (Administrative Law Judge) office. Local investigations are not typically made public due to privacy concerns. The privacy of the folks who were not referred up to a ALJ hearing. I expect that the local investigator found that Doc Deep acted on his own behalf and that the boat that took him to the site was merely transportation.

What investigators will usually hang you on is, 1) did the boat in question have proper procedures in place to ensure compliance with Coast Guard regulations, and 2) did that boat follow their own procedures? As long as you were following CG procedures, and you didn't violate your own rules, they have no reason to push the investigation any further.

That makes sense. Thanks for the info. it is too bad to not get a more formal review, but as others have noted, with so many potential issues it may not gain much.

GUE’s inDepth has an interesting interview from the person who trained Doc Deep

GUE’s inDepth has an interesting interview from the person who trained Doc Deep

Jon is a member on SB - @kierentec

Didn’t realise it was the same person.

Thank you @kierentec for the insightful interview/article.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom