Which pocket is best for back up mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dvrdv

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there a training standard for the ideal pocket to carry back up mask and SMB w/spool? I sling a 30cf bailout bottle on my left side..... any feedback is greatly appreciated!

I like my mask in my right thigh pocket. I carry my SMB & spool in a mesh pouch attached the base of my backplate. Just do whatever works best for you.

UTD trains that you place things you WILL or likely will use in you right pocket. Items you will use rarely/emergency be kept in the left pocket. For example primary smb and slate in right, secondary smb, backup mask, and surface signaling gear in the left.

I don't know about a standard, but you can't beat these for $10. Explorer Pocket

Yeah - except that the shipping is $10 more. Piranha gouges you on the shipping. Two of those would fit in a small USPS flat rate box and the regular USPS rate is less than half that for items as light as these.

I keep my back-up mask and back dsmb and spool in my right pocket, and my primary dsmb and spool in my left pocket. Reason being, if I have a stage, I sling it on the left. If I need to fish out my back-up mask for any reason, I want it quick and don't want to have to faff around trying to get to it under the stage.

Generally,

Left pocket is the working pocket-things you plan on using during the dive
Right pocket is the emergency pocket-when things hit the fan

Right would hold the back up mask and a backup spool/smb.

Although I store my lift bag and SMB in an XS Scuba mesh pouch and the Halcyon Storage Pak behind my back. Emergency 150ft spool is in the right pocket, along with mask.

Yeah - except that the shipping is $10 more. Piranha gouges you on the shipping. Two of those would fit in a small USPS flat rate box and the regular USPS rate is less than half that for items as light as these.
That's not true. First Randy will ship it however you want. They usually refund shipping charges to reflect actual charges once your order is processed. For some reason their website doesn't calculate shipping correctly. They need a website makeover.

Nevertheless, do you want free shipping on a $10 pocket or do you want them to stay in business? Also, have you shopped pockets? Even if it was $10 to ship it's still an awesome deal. He could charge $30- $50 like everyone else.

Here is one "standard"

Standardized equipment placement for diver’s pockets

The lack of standardized placement for equipment stowed in a diver’s pockets continues

to create confusion among dive teams and may be considered a hazard during

emergencies in which a dive buddy needs to assist an incapacitated or troubled diver.

Therefore, GUE has agreed to standardize the placement of equipment in a diver’s

pockets. While it is understood that arguments might be made on all sides it has been

agreed that the diver’s left pocket will hold “utility” equipment while the right pocket

should hold “safety” equipment. This convention allows divers to become familiar with

placement which will best serve them in all diving scenarios. For example, a diver using

a scooter can access “utility” items while scootering. Utility items include but are not

limited to a primary SMB, double end clips, stage carry loops, jump spools etc.; safety

items include a reserve SMB, spare mask, safety spool, wet notes etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom