Differences between tank sizes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tantell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all, bit of a noob question here.

Currently I rent my tanks from my LDS and they are 10.5 liter steel tanks (200 bar).

As you can get bigger and smaller tanks, is it correct to say that they carry more and less air respectively?

Thanks!

Yes.

A 10.5 L tank at 200 bar holds 2100L of gas (10.5 x 200 = 2100).

The capacity of the tank is a proud of its internal volume x the pressure (it can be filled to).

So are they all filled to 200bar? Or maybe bigger to 250 bar and smaller to 175bar etc...

I doubt that any steel tanks in Sydney are 200 bar tanks. They are more likely to be 232 bar as this is what all the common steel ones sold in Australia are now and have been for at least 15 years. You might only be getting 200 bar fills as the Australian standard says 207 bar is maximum unless you are using DIN or the yoke on your reg is rated higher (pretty sure that is what it is, almost 15 years since I got a fill in a dive shop).

So, if a tank is 11.2 litres and it is 232 bar, it will hold more than a 10.5 litre 232 bar tank. However, if the 11.2 litre tank is a maximum of 200 bar (as an example), it will only hold 2240 litres compared to 2436 in the "smaller" tank. Therefore, real size is a combination of internal size times pressure in the tank. In metric system, this is very easy to work out.

What's a bar, and how do you get 232 of them into a cylinder? :bounce:

Last edited:
Yeah, you people with metric tanks have it easy. The answer to the same question in the context of tanks measured in cubic feet of capacity is not as straightforward.

Thanks everyone. I guess what I was trying to ask is will a bigger tank let me dive longer? I realise now that the pressure would be similar across the different sizes.

What's a bar, and how do you get 232 of them into a cylinder? :bounce:
Bar is an unit measurement used in modern countries :gas:

Back
Top Bottom