Moving on to Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Once you've mastered a drysuit it it becomes lazy diving, if you are using it for bouyancy.
During the descent you have to add air, but on the ascent the cvd will auto vent, making the dive lazy.

For single cylinder diving a drysuit can do all the work rather than the wing. When you move to twins it's arguable that you might switch to using the wing for buoyancy.

As with all diving it's the practice that makes perfect. Once mastered it makes diving far more comfortable when diving in temperate or cold climates. For those of us diving colder waters the fact that you stay warm makes it more likely that you will continue diving and may well divd12 months of the year.
Those of us travelling to the red sea will often take a drysuit during the winter months.

Gareth

Did you already take drysuit training? For me, the class was key. It was also included with my drysuit purchase at my local dive shop. Even if you've already had a drysuit class, if it's included then do it again to gain more comfort.

I haven't take the class yet. I have it on the 27th of this month. First a pool class, then the following weekend I have the 4 dives for the first part of the AOW and then my night dive mid week following that. I wasn't planning on buying a drysuit until I have been out for at least 10-20 more dives to make sure that I'm confident enough to buy one and will use it. I don't want to be one of those people that buys it, then sells it a few years later for lack of use.

Once you've mastered a drysuit it it becomes lazy diving, if you are using it for bouyancy.
During the descent you have to add air, but on the ascent the cvd will auto vent, making the dive lazy.

For single cylinder diving a drysuit can do all the work rather than the wing. When you move to twins it's arguable that you might switch to using the wing for buoyancy.

As with all diving it's the practice that makes perfect. Once mastered it makes diving far more comfortable when diving in temperate or cold climates. For those of us diving colder waters the fact that you stay warm makes it more likely that you will continue diving and may well divd12 months of the year.
Those of us travelling to the red sea will often take a drysuit during the winter months.

Gareth

So am I understanding correctly that you think that I should use the drysuit as buoyancy when starting out?

My wife and I had our reservations, too. We took a drysuit course. It was very helpful, especially for simply calming our fears. We are NOT finding it easy to master the drysuit. We needed to spend yet another day later with the instructor to do more practice. However, everyone says that eventually you overcome the learning curve, and it becomes nearly as natural as a wetsuit. We surely will not be the only ones in the world who simply can't "get it." I am certain that we, too, will eventually reach the point where it feels natural. My point here is only that it can indeed be a hurdle for some people, but everyone assures us it will all be worthwhile in the end.

Did you start of using the drysuit for buoyancy?

Your concerns are valid and well thought out. The best advice that I can give is to realize that you are learning a completely different style of diving. Go for it. You have a wonderful local place to dive. Local divers are a different breed.

Don't start by comparing your wetsuit experience to dry diving. Expect everything to be heavier, clunkier, and slower. You are earning a pass into cold water. I would start by keeping your suit valve open and using your BC.

I wish you the best...

So am I understanding correctly that you think that I should use the drysuit as buoyancy when starting out?

That is the biggest bone of contention about drysuit diving, especially for beginners, and agencies vary in their position. You've already seen conflicting points of view in this thread.

Did you start of using the drysuit for buoyancy?

No. So as I guess you know, there are two schools of thought on this. My drysuit course taught using the suit only enough to relieve the squeeze discomfort and to primarily use the BC for buoyancy adjustments.

I don't want to be one of those people that buys it, then sells it a few years later for lack of use.
Me neither, but here I am with a drysuit I haven't worn in about 6 months. :)

I think it took me about 25 dives to become confident with mine.

Just in case you aren't already aware. Get a drysuit with integrated gaiters or at least use separate gaiters. They help considerably with potential 'floaty feet' problems.

i just bought a dive suit and the lds stressed taking the course witch i will do i purchased the padi dvd and manual already i found it to be very helpful while preparing for drysuit dives

There is a whole variety of different types of drysuit available, from neoprene, through various composites to thin membrane suits, but the most important thing about any of them is make sure you get the right size so you can comfortably move when you are wearing the appropriate level of undersuit for the conditions you will find yourself in.

As far as adapting from a wetsuit, yes, it is different but there is no magic or mystery about dry suit diving. I'm sure once you have mastered the basic techniques and got some practice in you will dive your drysuit like it is second nature.

I also worried when I started drysuit diving, I had clocked up a couple of hundred warm water dives, but nothing in a drysuit for nearly 30 years (and the drysuits were very different then :) ).

But now I can switch between various exposure suits, wetsuits, or different drysuits and hardly notice the difference except that I am now warm during and after the dive rather than just at the start.

The next most important thing is to get your weighting right. Drysuits are a little less forgiving than wetsuits if you are over weighted and put too much air in them - the air tends to form a 'bubble' and move around playing havoc with your trim and potentially migrating to the legs and either inverting you or popping your fins off.

If you set your weight up right at the start this is not an issue and you will soon be diving dry and wondering what the worry was all about.

Enjoy diving dry and dive safe - Phil.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom