Housing for Canon G10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elpezleon

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hi all,

I've been thinking a lot about buying an underwater housing for my camera but have no idea where to start and what to look for. I don't have much previous experience in underwater photography, but I do quite enjoy its land counterpart so I'd be willing to invest a little bit in it - as in, not buy the best one available but not necessarily the most basic one either. I'd like something at a decent price but that I could happily use for a while if I do get into underwater photography and I turn out nit to be complete crap at it.

The camera is a Canon G10, I've had it for a while and it still works well so I'd rather stick with this for now rather than buying a new one. I'm really only looking for the housing but don't really understand what the different accessories and specs mean etc

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Giulia

hi all,

I've been thinking a lot about buying an underwater housing for my camera but have no idea where to start and what to look for. I don't have much previous experience in underwater photography, but I do quite enjoy its land counterpart so I'd be willing to invest a little bit in it - as in, not buy the best one available but not necessarily the most basic one either. I'd like something at a decent price but that I could happily use for a while if I do get into underwater photography and I turn out nit to be complete crap at it.

The camera is a Canon G10, I've had it for a while and it still works well so I'd rather stick with this for now rather than buying a new one. I'm really only looking for the housing but don't really understand what the different accessories and specs mean etc

Thanks!

Giulia
For a basic housing, there is nothing really wrong (IMHO of course) with the Canon WP-DC28. I'm using it with a 10 Bar lens adapter (10Bar 67mm Adapter for Canon G10, G12, G15, G16 Housing) and it allows a wet lens to be easily removed if the macro/wide angle lens you're using doesn't work for the photo.

Take whatever money you have left over and get a (big) strobe. I shoot macro and manual and an 'older' YS-110 works well for me.

Yes I'd like a "nicer" housing, but. my photog skills need significant improvement before this setup limits what I can do.

I used a G10 for years with a Canon brand housing and was happy with it, until the lens barrel retraction mechanism quit working. Anecdotal, but another vote that it did the job. I'm just a snap shooter; no add-on lenses, external strobes, etc... Do double check what that housing will cost. When my G10 died, I got online hunting another, and figured out it'd be ridiculously expensive.

Then I picked up a Black Friday special refurb. G16 from Canon last year, and (since reviews on the G16 Canon housing didn't look reassuring consistently good) a FantaSea housing, and I'm pleased with the low light capability (although it's lower resolution; when I put pics in a Blurb landscape-size book, the G16 doesn't meet the recommended resolution requirement to fill a full page, but as I recall the G10 did).

Richard.

hi all,

Thanks!

Giulia

A dive buddy and I have had great success with this housing I have used mine for about 5 years and it takes abuse and keeps going, I limit the opening of the housing until it is rinsed and allowed to air dry and then i pop it open and dump the card and then put the camera back in as soon as possible to protect the oring

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-WP-DC28-Waterproof-PowerShot-Digital/dp/B001G5ZTQS

hi all,

Thanks!

Giulia

I have been using a Canon G10 and G12 housing for several years. Be sure to close the housing by hand force and not the latch so as to avoid putting pressure on the latch. Close and lock the latch after that. I learned that the hard way with a cracked latch. Learn the features of your G10. Shooting in RAW mode is best and a must in non-strobe photos so as to be able to adjust the white balance in post processing. You can easily do that with the Digital Photo Professional program that came with the camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom