Canon g16?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pajjpen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
im currently looking at a new camera for videoing. And I've been looking into the g16. It seems to do excellent in most reviews although I have read that when shooting out into the blue ( when shooting a manta or sharks for example) it will have a problem focusing. Is this something anyone here can confirm or deny, and would you have any other recommendations, camera wise?
I'll be shooting both macro and "blue water" stuff. Main priority is performance, price comes in second.
Cheers!

can you still buy one new? the g16 was released way back in 2013ish.

i use a g16, but only for close up macro stills, so i have no opinion about video capability. i mostly use it with a subsee +10. check my avatar for an example.

Last year I picked up a $250 refurb. G16 direct from Canon as a Black Friday deal; too bad the Fantasea housing wasn't that cheap... Keep an eye out. 2016 Black Friday is almost here.

Richard.

That sounds good. And yes I can buy them new still in Sweden. Would you recommend me waiting for the g17 to come out btw?

Is the g series done? I thought it the gX line took the place of the g series

The Canon G-Series are very good cameras, i was happy with them and i would buy them again. As far as i know the newest one is called Canon GX-1, so i guess there will be no G17 but maybe a GX-2 or so in the future.
On the other hand i made some good experiences with the Sony RX-100, have a look into it, if you feel for a change. Very good low light camera and the other specs do not need to hide either...

The Canon G-Series are very good cameras, i was happy with them and i would buy them again. As far as i know the newest one is called Canon GX-1, so i guess there will be no G17 but maybe a GX-2 or so in the future.
On the other hand i made some good experiences with the Sony RX-100, have a look into it, if you feel for a change. Very good low light camera and the other specs do not need to hide either...
I was looking into the rx series as well but it seems the canon outshines the rx when it comes to macro, and does about the same for shooting wide angle. Also I really like the idea of a one button custom white balance on the canon. I haven't looked at the gx1 yet, maybe I should have a look..

Have had a G-16 for 2 years and getting ready to upgrade to a Oly mirrorless. If you want primarily video capability you need to look at 4K only, so in a compact take a look at Sony RX100 V. Canon macro is very good. Good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom