Canon g16?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love my G16. As a macro camera I absolutely love it. It's even better with a close-up lens (wet) on the front.

BUT... it makes a noticeable noise when taking video. I *think* it's the auto-focus motor but have not confirmed this. It is quite loud (a pulsing noise) on the resulting video and I do have to edit it out. I am not the only G16 owner who has noticed this.

Still, I personally prefer the sound on my videos very low (turned down to almost off in editing) and so it's not really an issue for me.

The other problem I have is in our murky water the video likes to refocus on debris in the water. If I were going to get serious about video with the G16 I would take the time to learn how to put it in manual focus mode and shoot video that way.

Here's a link to last Sunday's video of an octo in a crack. You can see it lose focus in the first clip due to 'stuff' in the water, then lock in again. Also note the very, very low sound level (done in edit).

[edit: the above video was taken with the G16. Video light is a Sola 1200 on low power video mode]

I've also played with taking a cheap go-pro clone along with me for the video. The verdict is still out on that one, mostly due to the horrid apple file format that Premier Elements won't read.

Last edited:
The thing about the Sony cameras is that there's no one button white balance. Which really puts me off seeing as I'll be doing that quite a lot..
I'm using a gopro right but I feel it's time to upgrade.
Have had a G-16 for 2 years and getting ready to upgrade to a Oly mirrorless. If you want primarily video capability you need to look at 4K only, so in a compact take a look at Sony RX100 V. Canon macro is very good. Good luck

After reading all your response I've kinda set my mind to a Canon g7x. I've read a lot of positive feedback on this model, altho one post mentioned a vignette problem when shooting with a wide angle lens. does anyone have any input or experience in this? (can't find the post mentioning it)

It depends on which wide angle lens you use. You might have to zoom in a little.
Keep in mind the G7x has no 4k and will be much worse for video compared to a gopro 4/5 or a Rx100 IV/V. You can always use filters to fix white balance

I have no use for 4k and it will not be worse than a gopro for sure. I'd rather not use filters as its much harder to correct colors when u've had a filter on.
Do u have any wide angle lenses in mind that would work with th g7x without the vignette problem?
Cheers
It depends on which wide angle lens you use. You might have to zoom in a little.
Keep in mind the G7x has no 4k and will be much worse for video compared to a gopro 4/5 or a Rx100 IV/V. You can always use filters to fix white balance

You can find most info here: Canon G7X Review

Honestly, I'd still prefer a gopro if mostly doing video. The canon shines for stills, you can't expect HD to be better than 4k, even when you downscale the 4k.

What gopro did you use?

I'm with Sunnyboy, my G16 makes a horribly loud clicking noise when sheeting video. For this reason I would not buy it even though it takes great movies. Google it, its everywhere....its a known issue.

Mine doesn't make that clicking noise (I checked the youtube video out). Mine is more of a subtle motor humming type noise on video only. I'll go thru my videos and see if I can find a good example and upload it to youtube later today.

I've been using the gopro 3 and 4. But I'm not going for a new one now.
About the g16 I'm not looking at that one no more so the sound is irrelevant. I mentioned the G7x a few posts up, which is the camera I'm looking at right now.
You can find most info here: Canon G7X Review

Honestly, I'd still prefer a gopro if mostly doing video. The canon shines for stills, you can't expect HD to be better than 4k, even when you downscale the 4k.

What gopro did you use?

Back
Top Bottom