Verde Island trip report and video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DesertEagle

Contributor
Reaction score
During the last two weeks I had the pleasure of visiting Coron and Puerto Galera. Coron was chosen for the topside scenery and it lived up to expectations. I didn't go diving there but I did get some over/under shots at Twin Lagoon.

The highlight of five days in Puerto Galera was taking two separate day trips to Verse Island. This was my second trip to the Philippines and again I did my diving with Asia Divers. They have a large and diverse staff with instructors from the Philippines, China, America, Britain and Australia. I like that they operate multiple boats so getting a trip to Verde was easy.

My first dive was at Monkey beach. The deeper end had a lot of critters with the shallowest parts having more reef fish. The second dive was at Kilima Steps which had more fish life and very nice soft corals.

Day two was a full day trip and picnic at Verde Island. The visibility was excellent, making perfect conditions for videography. I used my new LenzO housing for my iPhone 6s, along with a Light & Motion Sola 2500 LED light. The hiding has built in UR Pro filters for blue and green water diving. I find the red filter makes images too warm, but I'm looking forward to editing more later. I used my older Watershot housing for the afternoon dive. While I forgot to enable 4K video, the 1080p footage came out alright.

During the surface interval our group had a nice lunch and combed the beach for pottery shards from a galleon that sank in 1620. Pieces of porcelain still wash up. I bought a few from the locals too, and made friends with a kitten.

Day three started with a morning dive at Canyons, a spectacularly beautiful and deep dive. Bottom time was limited and I had of trouble getting my video lit properly. The currents were raging and we mostly used that to our advantage, getting into the sheltered "bowl." I'll post that later. The afternoon dive was at another local reef. It was good but not in the same league as Canons.

Day four was another trip to Verde in the Speedboat. Travel time as maybe 35 minutes from Sabang. The previous evening was stormy which brought down the visibility a bit, plus the currents were strong. I used the Watershot housing with its slightly cooler red filter. In retrospect I should have used the Lenzo because it has a corrected dome optic. The images are sharper with less distortion.

Overall Verde Island is an incredibly colorful and fishy place to dive.

Here is some video:

Great report , thanks for sharing. I cannot get the video to work though.

Best fishes x

same remark: private video ?

Wow , fabulous , thanks again.

Just one question , were you able to travel overland from Coron to PG or did it involve a flight ?

Good question. I flew back to Manila and stayed overnight at the Bayleaf Hotel in Intramuros. It was a quick taxi ride to the Sikat bus departure from the City State Tower.

I'm trying some online edits with the second video.

My hotel was the Mermaid. I had a penthouse room with an outdoor hot tub. The hotel overlooks Sabang port and is quieter than most on the beach. That was important because I was asleep by 9:30. The air conditioner is a new split mini type and the bathroom is very large. Plenty of hot water.

Sabang bay itself isn't very nice. There are a lot of restaurants and bars, some of which I would avoid. There are vendors trying to sell stuff but they were not too aggressive. I did buy some handmade souvenirs. The best was a luggage tag with my name on it. I wish I had bought more for my friends. Sabang beach is mostly a place for boats to dock. It's nothing special. Neaby are two beaches, Small LaLaguna and Big LaLaguna. It seems most divers stay in Sabang or the LaLaguna beaches because the diving is nearby. Also when arriving on the ferry all I had to do was walk straight up the street and uphill a little to the hotel.

Nice video and thanks for taking the time to write a nice report

great work! will look at the vid at home. looking forward to diving canyons!

does the iPhone take ok photos?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom