Inactive Divemaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like a lie to get people to purchase insurance. I've been testifying in court on insurance cases for close to 20 years. Never have I seen a case end up that way. Nor have any of the agents or adjustors I asked.

That is fascinating and very useful info. It was how i understood it until told otherwise. Sadly i imagine a scenario that you would have to counter sue the company that insured you at the time the accident happened. Very messy, but then lawsuits always are.

Thanks for that info.

You can keep paying your membership dues, but not purchase insurance, and you will officially be inactive. Start paying for insurance, you are OK to work once your PADI office reactivates you. Just don't stop paying dues.....that is much messier to get restarted.

How does that work then? Do PADI require proof of insurance? I know many DMs, and not a single one of them has an insurance policy of their own. The dive school they work for has a public liability policy that covers all their staff.

I am guessing that was a joke! The Divemaster course will make you a FAR better diver. 100 dives in 12 weeks as a DMT makes a massive difference to your dive abilities regardless of how good a diver you are when you start.

Where has 100 dives in 12 weeks come from? You can be signed off with only 60 dives, most of which can be experience prior to the course.

It sounds like you are talking about your DM course, and if you are including 100 dives, that is very commendable indeed. Your response was to the following post though:

I'd just wait with the course until you need it. You don't get anything for paying the fees and the DM course itself is not gonna make you a better diver.

It's a matter of opinion, but it is not unreasonable one; the DM course in its basic form is not neccesarily going to make somebody a better diver.

Incorrect. Insurance coverage is for the date of the event.

sorry - but V&B policies are "claims made" policies. other providers (maybe yours) may be different...
There is no hard and fast answer to the insurance requirement question. An insurance policy is a civil contract between two parties, so the only answer that is correct 100% of the time is 'it depends what your policy states'. Personally speaking (and I work in the UK insurance industry), I have never come across a liability insurance policy that requires continuous cover after the policy term.

The DM course I took through a shop consisted of 4 dives shadowing/assisting 1 OW course, 2 playing panicked diver for Rescue Course and 2 for the required boat dive. Don't think I left anything out. Am not counting the 2 dives I did for the mapping project because that was without the instructor. So that's 8 dives, obviously not counting all the pool work. Not 100. 100 would mean to me that it is an internship in the tropics, possibly involving too much free labour beyond what's needed for the course. Of course, that makes you a better diver. I'm not at all familiar with internships, and assume that's true of the majority of DMs in N.A.

How does that work then? Do PADI require proof of insurance? I know many DMs, and not a single one of them has an insurance policy of their own. The dive school they work for has a public liability policy that covers all their staff.
From the PADI Instructor Manual (see especially item 3); note that there is no such thing as PADI insurance. You may have your insurance from anybody that covers professional liability for scuba. If you buy your own insurance through V&B they automatically notify PADI that you are up-to-date.
"Active Status
Active status authorizes PADI Divemasters to perform the duties of a PADI certified assistant and conduct courses as outlined.
Requirements
1. PADI Membership Renewal and dues for the current year on file at your PADI Office.
2. Agree to PADI Membership and License Agreements.
3. Proof of current professional liability insurance as required by your PADI Office (See the Pros’ Site at padi.com).
4. One of the following verified by your PADI Office:
• Became a PADI Divemaster the previous year, or
• Renewed in Active Status the previous year, or
• Met Active Status requirements as defined by your PADI Office.
Inactive Status
A member in Inactive Status does not receive benefits of membership and is not authorized to perform the duties of a
certified assistant, nor conduct courses as outlined"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom