Diving Crystal River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My wife and I are planning to take a trip down to Crystal River to do the dive with manatees thing, and drift Rainbow River. We want this to be a solo trip and not do any kind of guided tour with a large group.
I've been trying to do research, but I can't find a lot of solid information. It sounds like there are several springs where the manatees like to gather, winter months provide a better chance of seeing them, and that maybe a boat is required to get out to the springs?
Has anybody planned a solo trip out to Crystal River and can provide some advice?

Thanks in advance!

You are not allowed to scuba dive with manatees.
You are allowed to snorkel in some areas but you are to stay on the surface.
There are a lot of rules. Learn them especially if you do not have a guide with you. Could be expensive otherwise.

For the rainbow you have to get up the river. That takes a boat. Boat dumps you out and you drift down. It is essentially a solo drift since you do not follow a guide. you just poke along.
I have snorkeled with manatees on both the Crystla and Hamassahah (or something like that). Prefered the second.

Just how were you planning to go up a river, get in with the manatees , and have no one else along? Somebody needs to be with the boat. Same with the rainbow.

Rainbow river has a water taxi that will take you up the river for like $10 there are several marinas in crystal river that you can rent a boat from and explore on your own. I've used plantation marina before and they are super friendly. Have fun!

As has already been said, you can't scuba with manatees. However, you can come close..... American Pro does a snorkel with the manatees that is followed by a scuba dive into Kings cavern which is in the middle of where the manatees congregate. If you descend slowly and then ascend slowly, you may be lucky enough to have a manatee or two swim near you. When I was leaving the cavern, I stopped at the top for a minute or two and just watched the manatees swim overhead. It was pretty cool. If you pick a weekday, the boat is unlikely to be crowded: not solo, but not elbow to elbow either. The snorkel portion of the trip is not guided but it is monitored by American Pro and FWC. The cavern dive is guided.

You can drift dive the Rainbow River in the afternoon. It is not guided.

There are a number of marinas on the Chrystal river where you can rent a pontoon boat. But as has been said, know the rules or it will be an expensive mistake if you are caught doing something illegal. FWC will have no patience if you plead ignorance

Winter is the right time of year

Last edited:
All the above info about diving with manatees is correct. We go to Crystal River every other year to do exactly what you are asking about. Rent kayaks and paddle out to the springs with your snorkel gear so you can go whenever you want to and stay as long as you like. I also recommend American Pro for your Rainbow River dive. Go on a weekday. While you are there you should check out some of the other dives like Blue Grotto and Devil's Den as well. Way too much fun! Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom