Advice for a dirt bag scuba diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A scuba hippie! I love it! I have been tied to a desk since I was 22, except for the year off I took in the middle of my career (which pretty much derailed my career, but that's another story). I am totally envious, or at least in awe.

Got a blog? I would love to read about life on the road and diving. Is "scubahippie.com" taken?

There are 13 states that legally allow overnight stays in interstate rest stops. In other states-- If it doesn't look like you're camping and just sleeping in a vehicle for a "rest", MOST cops won't bother you. Of course there's always that one "go getter".

Is "scubahippie.com" taken?
apparently not..

Capture.JPG

I'm currently just parking anywhere I know I can stay for free....If anyone knows of places like that around Florida, SC, California that would be awesome.
Try the Water Conservation Districts. Esp. the NW since that includes Wakulla Springs (where DIR started) plus other nearby springs. Certainly there will be some nearby cave-oriented dive operations/shops. IIRC Chipola Divers actually has an automated drive-up fill now if you have tanks.

I believe you can get a permit for up to 60 days at some locations - it's free but you have to apply for it beforehand. Some friends stayed in one mid-Florida for a week - they mentioned on their blog that it was free but primitive. Not near either coast though - diving holds no interest for them.

Here's a few links:

Home | Northwest Florida Water Management District - I'm curious about the first header picture since that looks like ocean to me - I believe the boats are shrimpers. Maybe the ocean is closer than I thought. I'd expect it to be mostly boat diving around the Panhandle though.

Southwest Florida Water Management District
Frontpage | South Florida Water Management District

hth,

Last edited:
There are a few decent shore dives-jetties, etc. on the panhandle. When you get East of Panama City--toward and past Apalachicola to the "Forgotten Coast", it is less populated. Maybe a better chance to find a place to park for a while and close to shore? I've been all over there (seeing quite a few out of the way places), but not as a diver or seeking a place to stay free for more than a night, so I'm no expert. Once you get S. of Cedar Key it gets populated real fast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom