Maui 11-25 thru 12-2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

merxlin

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm an experienced (600+ dives in cold water mostly) looking to get some diving in while on the island between Thanksgiving and 11-2. I'll be in Kahana and prefer to dive around Lahaina town versus going south. I know and have used many of the ops already: Lahaina Divers (to Lanai, and Molokai a few times), Ed Robinsons, Maui Dreams, and scootered with Greg and Elizabeth and dove with Shaka Doug. I'm not sure I can get to Kihei for the morning dives so am looking for suggestions for a good op that will get me to some of the lesser dove sites and let me take pix and do a reasonable dive. I am just recovering from Shoulder surgery and was cleared to dive earlier than expected, but not sure I want to do any long treks in gear just yet. I'll have all my gear and will only need a tank and weights. Who should I call?

Hey Mike,

The 3 boat operators in Lahaina are Lahaina Divers, Extended Horizons or Hawaii Rafting Adventures. The last two have smaller boats. HRA's is a big RIB. There was a 4th operating out of a desk at the harbor but their website is dark so I think they're OOB. Might check?

Are you looking to shore dive? Close(r) carries would be Old Airport or Olawalu in that area. Early morning people parked under the trees at Old Airport right near the beach. At Olawalu you park at the side of the road and walk to the beach - IIRC it was like maybe 100' or less. Watch for Tiger Sharks.. (no kidding, they're in the bay there)

Look at Mala Pier also - it's on the north end of Lahaina. IIIRC the legal entry requires scrambling down some rocks - and they ticket there if you try to use the ramp to dive from. If this link doesn't work - Google it (Mala Boat Ramp), there's a few panoramas and it can't be 50' to the water there. Also arguably the best shore dive in West Maui. https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x79552ba2e3900ef5:0x39b234161a95aa02!2m13!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m7!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m1!1e3!3m1!7e115!4shttps://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=107941381107709082170&id=6292603577189962226&target=PHOTO!5smala pier - Google Search&imagekey=!1e2!2sfPo-t1V0arDZNNTthmSPpg&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi6p4_flp_QAhUIsFQKHSOIBC8QoioIdzAO - spin left to see the pier.

Black Rock is a pretty good carry now since non-guests now have to enter near the golf course in the bay at the north side.

I've been to Kapalua Beach but don't remember the distance - just that the public lot was small. It's also one of the best beaches on Maui.

Thanks Steve. I forgot about HRA. I've done Mala Pier (loved it!) but off a boat. I will probably do that on my own. Its 10 minutes from my condo.

will only need a tank and weights. Who should I call?
Try Lahaina Divers, I've rented tanks there and wasn't diving with them.

There's also a Maui Dive Shop in Kahana Gateway mall - one of the few left that still rents scuba gear afaik.

I wonder if Tiny Bubbles does also? They're in Ka'anapali at the old Embassy Suites (pink pyramid)

I'm right around the corner from Maui Dive shop in Kahana (Gateway center). I'm very familiar with Lahaina Divers too.

Just finished 3 days with Lahaina Divers and they were great, although the boats were a little crowded except for the advanced dive. Did their hammerhead (advanced) dive off the coast of Molakai in rough 6-10 foot waters, but did get to see 2 hammerheads, so that was good. Did 2 dives at Mala Pier with about half a dozen turtles and a frogfish, and got to dive First Cathedral twice off Lanai. All in all it was a great trip with a great dive outfit. I'd highly recommend them.

Just finished 3 days with Lahaina Divers and they were great, although the boats were a little crowded except for the advanced dive. Did their hammerhead (advanced) dive off the coast of Molakai in rough 6-10 foot waters, but did get to see 2 hammerheads, so that was good. Did 2 dives at Mala Pier with about half a dozen turtles and a frogfish, and got to dive First Cathedral twice off Lanai. All in all it was a great trip with a great dive outfit. I'd highly recommend them.
Good to hear. I've been to Molokai 3 times with them and only seen hammerheads once. And yes, that crossing can be a bit nautical at times.

Hey Merxlin.

I was on Maui in October. I was in Kehei so the early boats were not that bad. But I did shore dive on a couple of days. I did the Mala pier and also Old Airport. both were pretty nice dives. I had done the pier off of Lahaina Divers boat 4 years before that and even then I figured if I ever dived it again, I would shore dive. Both shore dives I rented my tank weights and dive flag from Lahaina Divers. Close and convenient to the dives. I wanted to do black rock as well but just could not fit it in.

I ended up going out with Ed Robinson 4 different days and very much enjoyed those dives.

I have not done the Cathedrals over on Lanai though so that is still on my list.

Hey, I see you asked on my thread who I had dived with on the shore dives.

Though as you can see, I tried finding a buddy, but I was unsuccessful .

I ended up diving solo on both of those. Max depth was 30 FSW.

Merxlin, Tiny Bubbles will pick you up in a van, drive to local dive site and help you lug gear. Tim also has scooters, but they are the pistol grip type and might not work so well with your shoulder. Maui Scuba Luv has the crotch-rocket scooters, but they are down in Makena.

I'm on island right now. Leave Tuesday 11/29

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom