Night diving in Maui?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pancakes74

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Has anyone done any night diving in Maui? I took a quick look and saw that several folks do shore diving at Black Rock but I didn't see any boat dives that go out past 6:00 pm.

Thanks in advance!!

Angie

Go for a shore dive. I did a couple south of Kihei (like Makena Landing) while I was there in January of 2015. Really enjoyed it. I'd suggest Mala Pier by Lahaina as well. Just mark clearly where you enter so you come out at the right spot as you work your way along the shore.

What do you see that is different there, Night Vs. Day? We went night diving off Pompano Beach, FL, day and night, and the night had the bioluminescence.

What do you see that is different there, Night Vs. Day? We went night diving off Pompano Beach, FL, day and night, and the night had the bioluminescence.
I saw different creatures. The one that pops out in my mind is zebra morays. Never saw them during the day. Also, there is a cave where turtles go to sleep. Sharks sleep during the day, so if you time it right, you can see the sharks leave and then the turtles enter.

I've been out at night once at Black Rock and a couple of times at Makena Landing/5 caves. Black Rock had lots and lots of eels, and we saw a few squid. I had not been there during the day and so maybe didn't know it well enough, but it seemed like a very small spot.

Makena Landing is extensive, has white tip sharks, lobsters, and a fair number of fish - it would be my recommendation both for variety and for ease of access.

I've done a dusk/night dive with Lahaina Divers. They go out to the Carthaginian at dusk and to a local reef at night. I think they still do it. Maui, Molokini, Lanai, and Molokai Scuba Charters

Thanks guys. A shore dive (night) might be a better option and certainly cheaper! We normally do Ulua (in Wailea) for most of our shore dives but I'd like to get up to Black Rock this time around.

I have not done a night dive from shore, only from a boat, but I think the idea of lining up the two lights on shore is a cool one. As long as someone does not steal your lights while you are diving!

Up until recently Lahaina Divers listed Mala Pier as a night dive. I know several people who've dove it off their boat. Makes the entry easy...lol

In south Maui just memorize the hotel lights off the beach you're diving.

I have gone off the beach in Ka'anapali in front of the resort I stay at. A lot of cool critters come out at night, like slipper lobster and cuttlefish. You don't have to go deep to see some really cool nocturnal activity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom