Thoughts on this as an emergency boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jzipfel

Contributor
Reaction score
thought this would go better here rather than the boats section. What do folks think of this as an emergency raft if you are caught out and your dive boat has abandoned you?

Amazon

I love Klymit, they are a local company to me and make good products.
I have a jacket from them, a sleeping bag and an air mattress for camping/backpacking. All good products.

2.5 lbs is good for a flotation device I guess, how small does it roll up? You want to be able to get inside/on top. I suppose you could drag your gear behind. Should have room for buddy too.

Halcyon used to sell one - maybe you can still find it for sale somewhere - besides here:
Halcyon Inflatable Life Raft

Another thing to think about: how easy is it to inflate? Is there an adaptor to use your tank gas to fill the float?

Another thing to think about: how easy is it to inflate? Is there an adaptor to use your tank gas to fill the float?

I was thinking the exact same thing. Since I have a fitting for my LP hose to inflate the dive flag float, there has to be some way to hook up something with an NPT. the Raft was less than $100 on Amazon for a while today so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I noticed the one they were selling was blue, not orange.

Bob

I'm pretty sure it blue on one side and orange on the other. It's actually symmetrical so you can have either side as up

I saw a tire valve inflator that hooks into a hose, it was in my lds so I bet that would work for inflation purposes.

Well, I just received this. The Halcyon one was several hundred $$. THis was less than $100. Seems quite durable for its intended function. Plenty of room for me and BP/W. I'm going to fab a little fitting to allow inflation from an LP hose.

Its orange on one side, visibility, and blue on the other (fun). It rolls up to about the size of a gatorade bottle and without the dry bag is about 2 lbs. I have a couple trips planned to areas where there is the possibility of surfacing and boat isn't visible. So this might be a nice little insurance policy if all other preventive measures aren't successful.

Looks like the Klymit is a good replacement for the discontinued Halcyon Diver's Life Raft.

My Halcyon Diver's Life Raft, carefully folded (not rolled) into its optional pouch (available separately, or find a less expensive nylon/canvas zipper pouch with minimum dimensions 10"L x 8"W x 2"Thick ), butt mounted to the bottom edge of the Backplate with bungee/shock cord (there's no freakin' way to stuff all that cleanly into the Halcyon Backplate MC Pouch!) and clipped-off to the rear D-ring of the crotch strap.

Again the life raft is a good survival tool to ward off immersion hypothermia and get you out of the water; invaluable for remote tropical dive sites with strong currents and the potential hazard of drifting away unseen on the surface from the diveboat. . .

Still have mine at nearly ten years old; only deployed it for real as a huge surface buoy to signal a Liveaboard about half a mile away to send a skiff for pick-up as my group was being carried away by current (Sulu Sea/Tubbataha Reef Philippines).

For a 2010 Wreck Expedition to the WWII Aircraft Carrier HMS Hermes off of east coast Sri Lanka, along with a PLB (satellite tracked Personal Locater Beacon),, I brought the Halcyon Diver's Life Raft and a Deep Sea Supply Hydration Pack: DeepSeaSupply - Product Detail

We did a lot of drifting deco diving, and if the dive skiff lost sight of your SMB --you were essentially adrift in the Indian Ocean, next land mass West being Madagascar some 3000 miles away. . .

Back
Top Bottom