Air Travel with Dive Knives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never had a problem with checked luggage. Blade may be 3 to 4 inches. Carrying a Rambo knife may be a different story. Also carry a trilobite as well.

Safe travels,
Jay

HI Dave, check with the airline -- but if you check it in your bag you should be fine. I have traveled with my pistol in my bag, but it was locked and I declared it.

I fly two to three times a month on average, either direct from UK to middle east or via a European hub (Paris/Frankfurt etc.) I have never had a problem with a 6" fixed dive knife or two in checked baggage. Only problem I have ever had was with a reel in hand baggage. They tried to seize the whole thing on the grounds I could strangle someone with the line! we eventually settled for me keeping the reel and hook, but giving up the line - it was an expensive reel and long line - how petty !

But hold baggage, 2-300 flights no problem. - Phil.

There should be no problem worldwide with knives, provided it isn't something which is banned for import (flick-knives, gravity knives, ninja sh*t etc).

A couple of years ago, my mate took his rebreather in the plastic crate it ships with, and had to take it to the separate baggage inspection channel. The Maltese security guys saw his ridiculous Crocodile Dundee dive knife and looked at him a bit funny, but let it through as it was going in the hold. When we went to the baggage scanner with our hand luggage, they confiscated his finger spool!

In the current environment of potential terrorist attacks, no one should be surprised about confiscation of any potential weapon by security. I now put any gear that could possibly construed as a weapon in my checked luggage to avoid aggravation.

Remember, on 9/11 the terrorists used box openers as weapons.

I have never had a problem leaving Oz with a knife in my checked baggage or on entering another country, but Customs in Australia got interested when my bag was randomly x-rayed and they spotted an un-declared dangerous weapon, my 50cm blade on my inflator hose. Since then I check the box on the declaration form and have a chat with them, and invariably get asked why did I declare it. I can't win either way.

I had my smallest dive knife taken from me last year when going on a cruise. This year I just broughtt shears.

A little off topic perhaps, bit in my experiences, cruise ships are usually pretty good with divers carrying blades, at least the ones I've been on. Assuming we're talking about a big blade, the ship's security folks will usually be happy to take your knife on embarkation, keep it in their Security office and return it to you as you leave the ship for the dive. When you return, they reclaim it and give it back to you at the end of the cruise. I've never had issues with the small blades or trylobite. I'm only talking SHIP's security here, at the embarkation port, security are usually rent a cops, so things may be more challenging, but the ship's crew are usually pretty helpful

Back
Top Bottom