Requirement to do night dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So if an OW diver is not allowed to do a night dive (because there happens to be a special course for that) does it also mean that an OW diver is not allowed to do a boat dive? Or a drift dive?

Nor a Close Water dive.

On the most basic level I would say the card does not cover night dives. the card just says you did x adventure dives, no one knows what they were, that is what the log book is for. I have SSI cards and on the back of the cerd is the dives associated with the card. my master says nav aow mitrox ect. I don't know what SSI does with aow cerd as to whether they list the adventure dives that were used to qualify the AOW card. It would be most useful I would think.
What do you mean by most basic level?
Back in 1996, PADI AOW included night dive as one of the core dive. So any PADI's AOW divers would have been trained on night dive then. However, PADI has changed the standard few yrs afterward.

off a boat it would be the captain's discretion, but shore night dives is up to the person diving, being familiar with the site from day time is a must though... advanced is Recommended if only for the nav skills.

but shore night dives is up to the person diving, being familiar with the site from day time is a must though.
Can you explain why you think it is necessary to perform a day dive on a site before you night dive it?

My last night dive was on a site that we had never seen before. Just like any day dive, we obtained a basic understanding of site topology and conditions before we splashed. I can not think of any reason to have previously dived the site during the day. We carried out the exact same profile we would have during the day (well we actually stayed a little longer since we ran into some interesting critters...)

Can you explain why you think it is necessary to perform a day dive on a site before you night dive it?

Just remember this is the Basic Scuba Discussions section. Although not necessary - if a newly minted OW diver has not dove the site - it is not a bad idea for them to have familiarity with the site. Or have a buddy that has dove the site.

Requirement? No. But a safety factor until you get more than a few dives? Sure. YMMV :)

My last night dive was on a site that we had never seen before. Just like any day dive, we obtained a basic understanding of site topology and conditions before we splashed. I can not think of any reason to have previously dived the site during the day. We carried out the exact same profile we would have during the day (well we actually stayed a little longer since we ran into some interesting critters...)
One reason to dive a site in the day is to allow comparison of the critters you see there at night.

Just remember this is the Basic Scuba Discussions section. Although not necessary - if a newly minted OW diver has not dove the site - it is not a bad idea for them to have familiarity with the site. Or have a buddy that has dove the site.

Requirement? No. But a safety factor until you get more than a few dives? Sure. YMMV :)
Sorry - I forgot it was the Basic forum. But my question stills stands - and maybe I should explain my thoughts more? (Thanks for the nudge!)

Why does any diver need to see a site in daylight before they hit in in the dark? Give me your reasons why. Why do you think it a good or bad idea?

The only difference I can think of is "tunnel vision spatial viz" (I just made that up). During the day I expect 50 to 80 foot viz in my warm water caribbean dives. At night I get the same viz, but ONLY in the narrow cone of my divelight(s). So I have the same viz, it is just 'tunnel vision". I am happy with that, each head swivel requires a hand swivel. This co-ordination did take a small bit of lurnin' before I got it right.

Is this "tunnel viz" concept a significant problem? I claim it does slow down a normal persons ability to form a mental map of their surroundings. But only about 10 to 30 seconds. You do a sweep slower since your divelight illuminates a smaller cone of your universe. Is this an issue for some people?

I am interested in others peoples input. What does each of you find difficult" about diving at night?

Maybe there are also environmental issues to be considered. The majority of my night dives have been conducted in conditions where my dive light can penetrate to the bottom. The general exception is were we splash off of a liveaboard and the wall is several hundred feet "over there" - the same as big blue diving during the day.

What does each of you find difficult" about diving at night?

Me not a whole lot - that said - I would not recommend to two new OW divers to take on a night dive without diving it first.

I remember a night dive in a NJ Inlet - I had not dove it before. So I went in and I happened to be solo - not familiar with the layout of the inlet or where the channel really was - it was about 8:30 and really dark. If you have not dove an inlet you need to be in and out with the tides or the exit can become a bear. As well the viz can drop depending on the wind and the currents the day or week before the dive. Towing a flag, using a light and navigating around the rocks not knowing where the exit was - I would not put that on a new diver.

Needless to say - I have taken my son (newish OW diver) on the dive at night and in the inlet. Because I have some experience with site, the tides and the exit points. I know when to get out before you start to struggle and lose a fin in the struggle to get out and over the inlet rocks.

So yes - experience in the day to build confidence and experience can go a long way to making sure you dont make bad decisions that can be compounded at night.

If you are diving a quarry or a lake - go for it...

I remember a night dive in a NJ Inlet - I had not dove it before. So I went in and I happened to be solo - not familiar with the layout of the inlet or where the channel really was...
Thanks for the feedback. Seems like you dove a site that you did not have a proper orientation for? I would claim this is good advice for a day or a night dive. Is there anything night specific that made this dive more difficult?

Lol - you wont let it go... ok here goes :) - Getting out at a very specific point in the dark is not as easy as it sounds. Lights from the shore are disorienting if you have done much night diving in an inlet. This is not a beach where you can get lollygag out anywhere you please and do the walk of shame. At night in an inlet you best be past the inlet rocks and around to the beach or be back at your entry point where you came in. If you dont - you will find yourself in the current with no means of avoiding boat traffic or the channel. At night it is more challenging than just popping up and finding your way back...
Good luck at finding what your looking for...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom