Three days in Ressel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VR78

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Thank you KeCo Diving Equipment for providing the amazing video light. This thing is unbelievable!
Thank you Centre de Plongée Souterraine (lotcavediving.eu) for your hospitality. We had great time.

Dive team: DVS, GH, VR
Photography: DVS, GH

IMG_0838_DxO.jpg IMG_0927_DxO.jpg IMG_1021_DxO.jpg IMG_1067_DxO.jpg IMG_1082_DxO.jpg

Funny, you chose the Dutch dive center over the Belgian one, that I prefer, on the northern part of the area. But I definitively agree that its website in English is much better, and it offer a all inclusive opportunity that can appeal to non French speaking divers.

Funny, you chose the Dutch dive center over the Belgian one, that I prefer, on the northern part of the area. But I definitively agree that its website in English is much better, and it offer a all inclusive opportunity that can appeal to non French speaking divers.

When it comes to diving who gives a crap of the nationality of the dive op or dive shop owner. Harald runs an amazing set up in the Lot that shouldn't be missed. The level of service and local knowledge is impressive. Harald and Monque have be t over backwards to make our trips from the US easy and enjoyable as they do for all of their guests.
I assume by the other shop you mean Oli's. He's a nice guy with a nice shop. For those that aren't as "local" as you are, Harald's is the way to go.

Well, I do give a damn. Obviously a diveshop of your nationality is more likely to speak your language and used to your national diving specificities. Here, the OP, whilst from Belgium, can be from the Flemish part of the country, so probably easier communication with Harald, or from Walloon part, easier with Oli.

As I said, Harald all inclusive is easier for non French speaking divers. I just hope that the food provided has much improved since I used his op several years ago, as for me it was not on par with what the area has to offer. Some was quite Ok, some definitively Dutch. Obviously, with Oli, it is different, as he doesn't take care of that part of your trip at all.

Well, I do give a damn. Obviously a diveshop of your nationality is more likely to speak your language and used to your national diving specificities. Here, the OP, whilst from Belgium, can be from the Flemish part of the country, so probably easier communication with Harald, or from Walloon part, easier with Oli.

As I said, Harald all inclusive is easier for non French speaking divers. I just hope that the food provided has much improved since I used his op several years ago, as for me it was not on par with what the area has to offer. Some was quite Ok, some definitively Dutch. Obviously, with Oli, it is different, as he doesn't take care of that part of your trip at all.

I guess we'll agree to disagree. Monique's food was a bright spot in the land that puts foie gras on everything. So to each his own.
I'd love to know the national diving specifications that vary though. Aren't all you guys dir. Or is that just a rumor.
That's a joke btw.

Last edited:
I guess we'll agree to disagree. Monique's food was a bright spot in the land that puts foie gras on everything. So to each his own.
As I already said, my experience with them was several years ago, probably five years. They can easily have changed during that period of time. I have not so nice memories of raw cucumbers sandwiches lunches in winter. Definitively more Dutch than French. But as you say, to each his own.

Well I speak neither French nor Dutch and don't give a rat's ass about food.
Also, a 20-minute daily commute easily beats the 90-minute one.
"National diving specificities?" :poke: :confused: :popcorn:

Then good if you found what you were looking for. Others can have different perspectives.

Then good if you found what you were looking for. Others can have different perspectives.

Agreed. I enjoyed my time checking out Oli's shop as well. Each serves a purpose for a certain type of diver.

I get how a shared language can be a bonus when choosing a destination as Harald was exceptionally helpful in aiding us. We know some basic French, but many of the things we read in that part of the country didn't translate appropriately.

I only thought the nationality comment a bit odd, but I can understand it. It just shouldn't be the primary guide in a decision of which shop to choose.

It's been two years since our last trip to the Lot. We generally have to travel there in June or July due to our schedules which isn't the best time to dive it. We hope we can come back in the better time of the year. The travel from the US is time consuming and expensive, but enjoying the French caves is a nice diversion from here in Florida or Mexico.

It's also enjoyable meeting divers of different origins. Most we met were hardcore DIR. That was both at Harald's(which he is a DIR diver himself) or at the dive sites. When we arrived in sidemount gear more than one person took our picture or stared at us oddly.

Can't wait to go back.

Most divers coming from abroad are dir and dir-like. French not so often. Sidemount is not so frequent, but developing. Oli now has sidemount steel tanks to rent.
I don't know the crowds in June or worse, in the summer, as I tend to avoid that period.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom