SDI & TDI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is nothing wrong with knowing your goals right up front and making plans to get there.

My goal is to get Adv Trimix certified. My current plan has me reaching that goal about 2 years from now.

Having a goal and a plan doesn't have to mean that you are rushing anything.

There is nothing wrong with knowing your goals right up front and making plans to get there.

My goal is to get Adv Trimix certified. My current plan has me reaching that goal about 2 years from now.

Having a goal and a plan doesn't have to mean that you are rushing anything.

Thanks for the moral support @stuartv my goal is to do this as job, I love so much diving and all I want to do is to share this passion I have with others, to show them how great it is...

Thanks for the moral support @stuartv my goal is to do this as job, I love so much diving and all I want to do is to share this passion I have with others, to show them how great it is...
A goal is something you strive to reach, taking all the necessary steps to get there. It is not your starting point.

Oh, I'm not implying that you shouldn't have DM or instructor as your goal. I'm not in any position to give wisdom on this topic but it seems like getting experience before you become a dive pro makes more sense.

OP - Do you think getting the DM without much experience will make it easier for you to get a job? To me, it seems that the money you would spend on becoming a DM would, for now, be better spent on improving your own skills first (whether that's through classes or experience or whatever).

Oh, I'm not implying that you shouldn't have DM or instructor as your goal. I'm not in any position to give wisdom on this topic but it seems like getting experience before you become a dive pro makes more sense.

OP - Do you think getting the DM without much experience will make it easier for you to get a job? To me, it seems that the money you would spend on becoming a DM would, for now, be better spent on improving your own skills first (whether that's through classes or experience or whatever).

You are absolutely right, I will use the money I would had spent for getting to Instructor in getting to Divemaster and then get more experience... thanks!

You are absolutely right, I will use the money I would had spent for getting to Instructor in getting to Divemaster and then get more experience... thanks!
Just to clarify - what I'm saying is get experience first, then become a DM, then get more experience doing DMing and then go for instructor.

A goal of "I want to make a decent living teaching people to do tech diving" is fine, even if you don't know how to dive. The issue is how you set out to carry it out and you time line to reach that goal. I suspect that 10 years is about the minimum you need, and you will spend tens of thousands of dollars and many thousands of hours to reach that point. And there isn't any assurance you can achieve it. It's not as hard a goal as "I want to be rock star", but it isn't going to be easy.

Nope. But I know a lot. One full time instructor needed his girl friend to co-sign a loan on a used car. Most of the tech instructors I have met or know about have a real job, own a dive shop, are retired or have a supportive significant other. There are exceptions, but it is hard to make a living as a good instructor even when you can in theory make $6000/week teaching a tech class for 3 students.

so basically what you are saying it's just a waste of time and money to do this if I plan to do this for living?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom