How to get rid of fear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The one piece of advice that always stuck with me from my first instructor was "Remember, you can always breathe".
Great advice. The greatest, in fact (if I'm allowed to paraphrase a certain president-elect). If you have gas, you're not going to die in the next couple of minutes. OK, time to look at the problem and find out how to solve it. You have air, so you have time for that.

My fear still limits me.
I don't see that that should be something to be ashamed of. Everyone has fears that limit them. Or, as I like to say it, "a man has to know his limitations". When I was 20, (I believed that) I was immortal. Now that I'm older and have a family I know that I'm not. I've determined my risk acceptance levels and I'm doing fine within those. That's the whole point of a potentially fatal activity like diving: Determine your limits, and work rationally within those. And, in the immortal words of Douglas Adams: Don't panic.

Thanks @Storker

I have accepted my limitations in this respect. I can happily clear my mask now, without fuss. But the thought of doing a no mask swim freaks me (right up there with the dentist - who I consider satanic evil goblins of the first order)

Here's the rub. I'm happy to throw myself into extreme currents, and can deal with up and down draughts all day long. My fav site requires a DPV - not to get onto the ridge (at 42m) but in case you get blown off so that you can get out of the flow. We go armed to the teeth, AL 80 as a pony, 15 L @ 230 bar as back gas and a 50% dec in a AL 40. To me this is "not stressful, if my reg vibrates of mask fills a bit due to current, not an issue - indeed its a sign of a great dive.

You put me in a calm situation (say kneeling on the sand) and get me to do a fill and clear, while I don't panic, my stress level goes up. stupid really, but it's a block I cant get past

Allesandro, please don't be in such a hurry. Dive and have fun. Increase your knowledge and skills by diving. Enjoy yourself. Push yourself in a slow and controlled manner until you feel confident in all your skills. Then you will be in a better position to consider being an instructor. It's very serious and a big responsibility to take others under you wing and show them the wonders beneath.

Given your other thread, my advice would be to forget your goal of becoming an instructor already by the end of this winter. In my (not so humble) opinion you just won't have time to collect enough diving experience, under different conditions, to be a competent instructor.

Take a refresher, take AOW, and dive, dive, dive. Have fun diving, building your experience base. Take Rescue, take other courses if you want to. Collect experience, expand your experience gradually, and re-consider your goal of becoming an instructor when you have logged more dives than I have. Remember that even divemaster (a prerequisite for instructor) requires minimum 40 logged dives to enroll and minimum 60 logged dives to finish. And if those dives are under similar and benign conditions, you'll be doing both yourself and your students a disservice.

I will like to thank all of you guys, because you made me realise that probably rushing in becoming an Instructor it's wrong, I wanted to do that because I know that if you are just a Divemaster it's extremely hard to find a job and I want to make of diving my job asap but at the same time I start to think now that if I don't do the things in the right order and in the right time nobody will give me a job because I won't have so much experience to be a good instructor, so the best is becoming Divemaster and dive, dive, dive, make a lot of experience, lots of dives and then when I will feel ready make the final step to become Instructor...

In your case, however, you *do* need a diving instructor and someone who is patient and "clicks" with you.

Once again, the good news is that you can fix this.

I know I can do it, I know all the theoretical part, I can do it with a snorkel or under the shower, but since I had that problem when I am surrounded by water I just get very nervous and afraid, I have this block in my mind and the other day I couldn't do it even at 1,5m with my Instructor in front of me, I guess I just need to relax and practice, practice, practice until it becomes natural and I will feel relaxed even if it happens by accident, to don't get a panic attack
and solve it with calm, the only thing I'm afraid of is that I'm never gonna get over it completely and that even if I will do it in a safe situation I will always remain afraid if it happens in a dangerous one.

@Storker you are a very good at this, you should be an Instructor if you are not one already, because you know a lot about diving and you explain things in a very nice way, your words helped me a lot and not only on this thread.

I know that I should keep calm and just think that I can breathe but in this moment is just very difficult for me to overcome this stupid fear that I never had before... I feel so sad!

You put me in a calm situation (say kneeling on the sand) and get me to do a fill and clear, while I don't panic, my stress level goes up. stupid really, but it's a block I cant get past

In this moment for me it's the same :(

Allesandro, please don't be in such a hurry. Dive and have fun. Increase your knowledge and skills by diving. Enjoy yourself. Push yourself in a slow and controlled manner until you feel confident in all your skills. Then you will be in a better position to consider being an instructor. It's very serious and a big responsibility to take others under you wing and show them the wonders beneath.

I think you are totally right, thank you so much @Dizzi Lizzi

@Storker you are a very good at this, you should be an Instructor if you are not one already, because you know a lot about diving and you explain things in a very nice way, your words helped me a lot and not only on this thread.
Thanks for that. However, while I do train people in other settings, I don't quite see myself as competent to be a dive instructor. In my own opinion, I'm not there when it comes to diving proficiency. Besides, knowing what scuba instructors make, I'm not going to quit my day job to become one :wink:

Thanks for that. However, while I do train people in other settings, I don't quite see myself as competent to be a dive instructor. In my own opinion, I'm not there when it comes to diving proficiency. Besides, knowing what scuba instructors make, I'm not going to quit my day job to become one :wink:

So you think it's not worth to do this as job? I think you are very competent and you are kind and patient to explain things in a way people understand...

So you think it's not worth to do this as job? I think you are very competent and you are kind and patient to explain things in a way people understand...

Maybe he actually wants to get a decent wage, not crumbs. A know a number of instructors who have good regular jobs, but do instructing on the side, mostly weekends. I suspect it's the only way they can afford to be an instructor.

So you think it's not worth to do this as job?
That's a personal decision. There sure are other jobs that pay better, but it's all up to each person and their priorities. I'm getting old, and I have an education. That enables me to pursue my interests - like diving - on my (limited) free time. On the downside, if I want to keep that lifestyle it doesn't allow me to "live the dream" and dedicate (part of) my life to pursuing a certain activity. Life is all about choices and priorities. My choice is - probably - right for me, but I won't even try to assume that my choice is right for you.

If I'm allowed to give one and only one advice, it would be to find out what's really important in your life, pursue that dream, but be realistic about the costs and consequences. So, you have to find the compromise that's right for you.

BTW, one more advice:

So you think it's not worth to do this as job?
In Italy you can maybe make 1000 Euros a month if you're lucky. That's pre-tax and the season is only 6-7 month... unless you have the money to buy or open a dive shop, it's very hard to make a living as an instructor, especially in Europe.

If I'm allowed to give one and only one advice, it would be to find out what's really important in your life, pursue that dream, but be realistic about the costs and consequences. So, you have to find the compromise that's right for you.

What I want it's very simple, I don't want to be rich, I just want to wake up every day and do something I love...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom