Diver dies after being rescued in Jupiter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Possibly we could just say that anyone who is on ANY medication shouldn't be diving?
Except that misses the individuals that need to be on medication but refuse because that would mean they have a problem and of course they don't.

So that line doesn't work either.

Last edited:
... The point is - let the dive boats worry about the requirements to dive on their boat....
You're Right,,it's their boat

But as a passenger I don't get a veto vote on a fellow passenger {who put's the reg on backwards/can't set their computer/etc}.

But I have returned to the dock with dead divers and it takes a very long time for me to recover from it mentally and I'm not crew.

Although it will never happen,,,I still think C-cards should be just like driver's license renewal requirements.

Last edited:
Your BMI is 34.7, indicating your weight is in the Obese category for adults of your height.

For your height, a normal weight range would be from 122 to 164 pounds.
What kind of BMI chart is that? 122-164 is an enormous range, for any height.
The BMI charts seem to vary a lot, as to the "boundaries" between obese, overweight, normal, underweight.

According to that chart I'm overweight, a decimal away from obese. :rofl3: Find me the guy who wrote that BMI calculator and I'll show him how I throw my weight around. :chair:

It should be noted that we don't have any confirmation on how the diver died. And anyone suggesting there be some health requirement to dive, what do you care? I don't understand why someone else feels the need to big brother other people. That is how you lose freedom in a country. Asking the government to make decisions for you.

He knew damn well what the deal was. It just didn't work out this time.

For a 5'9" (me), the "normal weight" would be in the range of 125 to 168 lbs. So, my 156-lb weight (with 30" waist) is getting closer to an overnight guy. Something doesn't sound right.

What kind of BMI chart is that? 122-164 is an enormous range, for any height.
The BMI charts seem to vary a lot, as to the "boundaries" between obese, overweight, normal, underweight.
BMI is a kind-of useful population statistic, not a valid individual statistic. Even the guy who popularized BMI (Keys - who is pretty much single handily responsibly for the US obesity epidemic) stated that. It can't distinguish between an Olympic athlete and a couch potato. Also I think the population used to calibrate it was not exactly at the peak of healthy, though I'm unclear as to what the nutrition state of the people in Belgium the originator studied from 1830 to1850.

Last edited:
BMI is a complete farce.
My BMI is 33.4
However I run 20 miles per week under 8 minute miles
BP is 110/65
Cholesterol 125
Bench press 360 lbs
53 years old
Yeah I'm obese:rolleyes:
Complete flipping joke is what BMI amounts to, oh yeah no one in my family has died younger than 85 years old

But as a passenger I don't get a veto vote on a fellow passenger {who put's the reg on backwards/can't set their computer/etc}.

I have seen this and have veto'ed the person from coming back! Of course it was a private boat... lol :)

I understand the concerns - but as pointed above - the Boat owns the rules or this will be one seriously messed up activity if we start having a physical endurance test before you get to sign up for the dive or Government Bureaucrat on board monitoring the divers.
My 2 cents...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom