Diver dies after being rescued in Jupiter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually it does apply to you, and I will try to make it clear for you. Regardless of if you are or are not a smoker, overweight or not your reply indicates at you are not they type of Diver that I would ever buddy with. The man died doing what he enjoys doing and regardless of your opinion you do not have the right to try to take that away from him or others like him.
Perhaps you are right. Perhaps not. I hope there are criteria other than, "doing what he enjoys." What if he enjoys the thrill of leaping out into traffic in front of speeding cars? Does he have the right do do that, just because he enjoys it?

Perhaps you are right. Perhaps not. I hope there are criteria other than, "doing what he enjoys." What if he enjoys the thrill of leaping out into traffic in front of speeding cars? Does he have the right do do that, just because he enjoys it?
how does leaping out in front of a car even equate to jumping into the ocean with your own gear on? I would think this conversation has run its course

how does leaping out in front of a car even equate to jumping into the ocean with your own gear on? I would think this conversation has run its course
Hey, it's your argument, not mine. if you want to say unequivocally that it is OK for him to do whatever he enjoys, so be it.
I do not agree, and neither does the Supreme Court.

Hi, Ive been monitoring this thread and other threads related to David's death.
I am a close friend and I am here to read unbiased opinions of what happened.
I am still not positive on cause of death but I see this thread turned into a BMI talk and a pre-qualified to dive talk.

David was overweight, yes.
But he was part of the British military, he was an emt, a firefighter, he would routinely go on 25-50 mile bike rides with me, he almost constantky hiked, he ran 2 sprint triathlons and a full triathlon and he recently got certification to be a rescue diver (a hurtful irony to this)

His death may have been cause from seasickness which prompted a 'dive in anda you'll feel better' action and then the captian and lack of a deck hand (possibly) to be able to assist him to get out of the water between his weight and the 5-8 ft seas.

I am very sorry for your loss.

He was around 400 lbs and could do a triathlon? Or was that done at a lighter weight?

As I indicated in a much earlier post, heavy, active people can have incredibly strong legs and if he had decent upper body strength and good aerobic capacity, I don't see that he shouldn't dive.

Did anyone determine that there was no deckhand on board? Has anyone determined that one was required for this boat?

The title of the thread states that we was "rescued" and then " died". Was he actually OK when he got on the boat? Or did sea tow do a body recovery?

So I heard more details on what occurred from what I consider a realible sourse. Below is the info I was given.

Seas were as described in the 5-8 foot range on that day. Everyone lined up to go in and the victim was with everyone else and jumped in. Immediately after he hit the water he was in distress and dropped his weight belt. The dive master (Josh?) saw this take place and went to go to him. When he arrived, the diver was unconscious and without pulse. He was struggling to keep both thier heads above water in the rough seas. A radio call was made and the Calypso dive boat was near by and they rendered help. Both crews were unable to get him onboard either boat. Seatow was enroute and when they arrived was then able to get him onboard.

Sorry I was not able to get any more specific details then what I provided.

There once was a research project that trained a bunch of overweight people to run a marathon, with the apparent objective of weight loss. It turned out that instead they ended up with a group of overweight people who could successfully complete a marathon, no significant weight loss occurred. It's harder to get thin than people who have never been fat realize, and a motivated fat person can do stuff that you wouldn't expect. It is still not healthy.

So I heard more details on what occurred from what I consider a realible sourse. Below is the info I was given.

Seas were as described in the 5-8 foot range on that day. Everyone lined up to go in and the victim was with everyone else and jumped in. Immediately after he hit the water he was in distress and dropped his weight belt. The dive master (Josh?) saw this take place and went to go to him. When he arrived, the diver was unconscious and without pulse. He was struggling to keep both thier heads above water in the rough seas. A radio call was made and the Calypso dive boat was near by and they rendered help. Both crews were unable to get him onboard either boat. Seatow was enroute and when they arrived was then able to get him onboard.

Sorry I was not able to get any more specific details then what I provided.

So, given this third person report I can only SPECULATE a couple possible scenarios as to what happened. He either had an untimely medical event or his gas was off/reg failed to deliver gas when he jumped in and he aspirated water and ultimately went unconscious. In either scenario 5-8 foot seas would make either situation hard to deal with, both for the victim and crew. At least he had the wherewithal to drop weights and stay on the surface.

I doubt that anyone can detect a pulse on a very large person while in the water and in 5-8 ft seas. So that part of the scenario would be hard to verify, but the remainder of the story seems believable. Maybe an autopsy will show a heart attack or something.

One lesson learnt for me here is to not jump into the water when the sea condition is rough or I don't feel well at the time. I can always come back later.

I am very sorry for your loss.

He was around 400 lbs and could do a triathlon? Or was that done at a lighter weight?

As I indicated in a much earlier post, heavy, active people can have incredibly strong legs and if he had decent upper body strength and good aerobic capacity, I don't see that he shouldn't dive.

Did anyone determine that there was no deckhand on board? Has anyone determined that one was required for this boat?

The title of the thread states that we was "rescued" and then " died". Was he actually OK when he got on the boat? Or did sea tow do a body recovery?

Yes he did the triathlons while he was around 400, a little less or more he would fluctuate in weight.

Also to the person with more 'information'
All that is possible. I am not sure because there is so many conflicting reports.
Even the detective has conflicted reports
I am not immediate family but I am in contact with them. unfortunately I don't know all that much from them because I do not want to be over bearing at this time.
The autopsy report may not be for another month or so.

Back
Top Bottom