Getting my own tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

those are the Genesis tanks, I like them better, but it is harder to find the valves. They also are 300 bar so you would need a 300 bar din.

The service pressure of the tank is 3,500 psig (not 300 Br = ~4,410 psig). But, yes, it requires a 300 Br DIN tank valve. (This is probably what you meant to write.)

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Marie,
I just noticed you posted in Arfcom. So you are now on both of my favorite forums. Based on your interests you need to move to Florida

Dude, I'm a native Midwesterner and plan to stay here. The only move I might make is back to Michigan where I grew up. I've been in Chicagoland for almost 21 years, but I still identify more with Michigan than the People's Republic of Illinois. I hate heat and humidity, so moving to the south is a major no go.

The service pressure of the tank is 3,500 psig (not 300 Br = ~4,410 psig). But, yes, it requires a 300 Br DIN tank valve. (This is probably what you meant to write.)

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Yes sir

Dude, I'm a native Midwesterner and plan to stay here. The only move I might make is back to Michigan where I grew up. I've been in Chicagoland for almost 21 years, but I still identify more with Michigan than the People's Republic of Illinois. I hate heat and humidity, so moving to the south is a major no go.
I moved from Daleyville to Albuquerque. Not too bad, it gets hot in summer, but when you step in the shade it gets cool. And it almost always cools way down at night, not like Chicago where it's 99 during the day and cools down to 95 at night due to the humidity. But diving sucks. What we need is a 6000 foot high plateau about where Orlando is...

That would be one hell of a giant stride.

I was talking HP100s with an experienced diving buddy and was told to stay away from older HP100s. The newer (10 years old and newer) ones rated to 3442 psi are the ones I want. Something about older ones having a smaller neck opening/threading that requires a special valve. I was told the older ones are a PITA for inspections due to that smaller neck opening - and if I can't find used tanks born in the last 10 years I'd be better off buying new.

All my tanks are the older PSTs (4 x HP100, 4 x HP120). They all have the old "skinny" necks and take valves that are non-standard, by today's standards. I have no regrets on any of them. No way I'd pay new prices over a good deal on PSTs.

The VIP price is the same at any shop I go to. If the skinny neck makes the VIP more of a PITA, that is the shop's problem, not mine.

The only nit that I could see picking is that you can't use "convertible" valves on them in order to allow use of a yoke reg. I don't own any yoke regs, so I seriously don't care about that.

I bought all mine already assembled as doubles and one set includes the plugs necessary to make them into singles. I wouldn't hesitate to buy more, if I needed more tanks. Especially considering the prices I have found them for.

I was talking HP100s with an experienced diving buddy and was told to stay away from older HP100s. The newer (10 years old and newer) ones rated to 3442 psi are the ones I want. Something about older ones having a smaller neck opening/threading that requires a special valve. I was told the older ones are a PITA for inspections due to that smaller neck opening - and if I can't find used tanks born in the last 10 years I'd be better off buying new.

Inspections? not a big deal.

Yes, you need a valve that matches, but they're widely available, and any cylinder you buy will come with a valve. You might run into parts availability problems trying to build up a twinset from singles, or splitting an existing twinset into singles, but even that can be done.

The main thing to watch is that these cylinders can't be used with yoke regs.

I wouldn't turn down a good deal on 3500 PSI cylinders.

I confirmed yesterday when I picked up my pony they do indeed have 4-6 HP100s in their rental fleet.

While it is true that the old tanks use a smaller neck and take a different valve, there is no reason to avoid them if one dives with DIN regulators. They are good tanks and can usually be had at better prices. For your yoke legend, the newer style 3/4 neck tanks will be your only option in a HP100. As far as the 10 year rule, sounds like a dive shop owner. Steel tanks have no life span, they last forever unless they rust.

While it is true that the old tanks use a smaller neck and take a different valve, there is no reason to avoid them if one dives with DIN regulators. They are good tanks and can usually be had at better prices. For your yoke legend, the newer style 3/4 neck tanks will be your only option in a HP100. As far as the 10 year rule, sounds like a dive shop owner. Steel tanks have no life span, they last forever unless they rust.

Actually, not dive shop owner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom