Dolphins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cpichette

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got back from a week in CZM diving with Aldora. Anyway, first dive on Tuesday was at Santa Rosa with DM Ricardo and two other divers. About 30 minutes into the dive, we saw two spotted eagle rays skimming over the sand just inside the top of the reef. We watched them for a minute, then two dolphins came up behind them and swam around for a little bit. It was spectacular and, I think, pretty rare in Coz. It was very cool. Just wanted to share.

We saw a pair of dolphins from our boat during a SI yesterday. Maybe the same pair? Was the first time I've seen them in coz but understand they are around from time to time.

I have emptied hundreds of tanks in Cozumel over the last 21 years & although I have seen a few Dolphins on the surface I've only seen 1 while diving. That sighting was on Barracuda diving with Jorge & Blue Angel (he is with Tres Pelicanos now) just a few minutes before we ended our dive. I wasn't sure who else saw it & if started when I was on 1 side of a ridge & saw the fin on the other side. I woke my camera up & got ready expecting to see a shark. To my surprise when it came into sight it was a dolphin and as soon as it saw me it turned and left the area. I got 1 shot off but luckily I framed it well enough to get a keeper.
IMG_2569v5 by ci_copo, on Flickr
11278117664_21f70e21b1_h.jpg

We saw a pair of dolphins from our boat during a SI yesterday. Maybe the same pair? Was the first time I've seen them in coz but understand they are around from time to time.

As we were headed to our surface interval, we think we saw their fins in the water from about a hundred yards away and a dive boat was near them. Probably was you.

Got about 1 minute in Cozumel with 6 dolphins. 3 pairs, each swimming synchronously. Got about 10 minutes with a pod in Belize. One male, three females and three babies. In both cases, the weather changed shortly after.

Got about 1 minute in Cozumel with 6 dolphins. 3 pairs, each swimming synchronously. Got about 10 minutes with a pod in Belize. One male, three females and three babies. In both cases, the weather changed shortly after.
I have always heard that also but then last month in the second week of November we saw 2 different groups a few days apart and I expected the weather to change but it did not. It sayed very nice.

We were in Cozumel back in November and on my friend's first ever Discover Scuba dive, during our safety stop at 15 feet in about 45 feet of water near Cedral Pass we saw wild dolphins!!! Four bottlenose dolphins swam close by us underwater. And shortly after that, two more swam by!

In our divemaster's 30 years of diving with over 11,000 dives, he's only been in the water with dolphins in Cozumel twice. Diving with wild dolphins is incredibly rare in Cozumel! So this was very special!

And it was a diving bucket list item for me: scuba dive with wild dolphins!

Yup - That's been my experience as well. Whenever dolphins appear down there -- an El Norte (or something besides calm and sunny) is probably on the way. At least that's what my old wife says. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom