Manual white balance vs wb in post (video)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pajjpen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I've been using a gopro for some time now to video but it's time to upgrade, and I'm most likely going for a Canon g7x, unless the price of the Olympus omd em1 housings drop significantly.
So I'm wonder what yields best results..manual white balance during the dive with let's say a wb slate, or shooting in auto wb and editing it in post. I use a set of video lights but most likely upgrading them too.
Another dilemma is, if I opt for custom white balance I have to swap to auto and turn my lights on before shooting closeups. Let me know how u guys do it! any input is much appreciated.
Cheers
Note: I posted this in photography but it's regarding video only.

So I've been using a gopro for some time now to video but it's time to upgrade, and I'm most likely going for a Canon g7x, unless the price of the Olympus omd em1 housings drop significantly.
So I'm wonder what yields best results..manual white balance during the dive with let's say a wb slate, or shooting in auto wb and editing it in post. I use a set of video lights but most likely upgrading them too.
Another dilemma is, if I opt for custom white balance I have to swap to auto and turn my lights on before shooting closeups. Let me know how u guys do it! any input is much appreciated.
Cheers
Note: I posted this in photography but it's regarding video only.

I've been using a Canon G7X for about the last year now, and I'm pretty happy with it overall. That camera does a nice job with the custom white balance either with or without lights, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Custom WB is really simple on the G7X once you have it set up, and you don't need a slate to do custom white balance with it. White sand, gray sand, gray rocks, a white tank - any of that kind of stuff will work just fine. I started testing, and found that it will even do a pretty accurate white balance off a subject if it's a relatively neutral color

My lighting set up is a Sola 1200 video light on the right side and a YS-D2 strobe on the left side. If you have to start with just one, I recommend the video light because it will give you a lot of versatility for the dollars. You'll definitely want a strobe pretty soon though, because it will give you even more options.

Lance

I've been using a Canon G7X for about the last year now, and I'm pretty happy with it overall. That camera does a nice job with the custom white balance either with or without lights, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Custom WB is really simple on the G7X once you have it set up, and you don't need a slate to do custom white balance with it. White sand, gray sand, gray rocks, a white tank - any of that kind of stuff will work just fine. I started testing, and found that it will even do a pretty accurate white balance off a subject if it's a relatively neutral color

My lighting set up is a Sola 1200 video light on the right side and a YS-D2 strobe on the left side. If you have to start with just one, I recommend the video light because it will give you a lot of versatility for the dollars. You'll definitely want a strobe pretty soon though, because it will give you even more options.

Lance
Note that my post was regarding video only. And setting white balance with lights on seems like it would make for bad results when videoing stuff further away than the lights reaches. And without the lights on for the wb, and then turning them on, the lights would bring a very red tint to the video if I'm not mistaken.
The easiest way would be to white balance afterwards in post. But I'm wondering which way yields best results.

Note that my post was regarding video only. And setting white balance with lights on seems like it would make for bad results when videoing stuff further away than the lights reaches. And without the lights on for the wb, and then turning them on, the lights would bring a very red tint to the video if I'm not mistaken.
The easiest way would be to white balance afterwards in post. But I'm wondering which way yields best results.

Note that my response addresses video. Video and stills are connected via custom white balance on the G7X. You can choose to ignore it, but using the custom white balance will save you a lot of time in post and it takes about a second and a half to set. I've spent literally thousands of hours editing skydive video over the years, and my advice is do stuff on the camera whenever possible. Minimize workflow.

You're right about near and far subjects having different balance, but you're not going to be able to fix that easily no matter what. It's a choice you make at the beginning of the shot. No easy "best" answer, just a decision.

Lance

Thought u were on about photos cus I mentioned getting strobes. I really don't mind editing in post, whatever makes for easier handling during the dive is what I'd opt for. I read that u get better results by white balancing before the shoot rather than in post that's why i was asking :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom