Upgrading to Sony A6000 for video? Yay or nay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ashantiashanti

Contributor
Reaction score
Heya guys!

I am going to upgrade into a DSLR/mirrorless because I want to invest in a camera I can use for both underwater video + photography and topside video + photography. I am starting to make documentaries also, so I want some good quality! However, unfortunately budget is an issue (as always,) where I have found that almost all DSLRs have UW housings for AT LEAST 1000 USD(!)

But then I luckily discovered that the Sony A6000 has some budget housings with great reviews, such as the Meikon UW housing, which go for about 300-400USD. The A6000 also has great reviews, praised for its quick auto-focus for video.

So I was wondering if there are some A6000 users here who either recommend it or not? And also regarding its lenses; what would be the best lens to use for UW video?

Also if there are other DSLRs/Mirrorless who have cheaper UW housing you guys can recommend?

EDIT: After further research I've also found the following DSLRs/Mirrorless having budget options for UW cases. These camera's also seem to have wonderful reviews, so if anyone could help determine which would be the best for my usage, it would be great! Or, if someone could help determine which one to get off my list!

Canon EOS M3
Nikon 1 J5
Olympus E-P5
Olympus OM-D E-M5 MKII
Canon EOS 550D
Fuji X-M1
Olympus OMD E-M1
Sony Nex 7
Nikon D7000/7100

Cheers!

Last edited:
yes ... look at my video , i own a Sony A6000 , with a Meikon housing ... it works great , video is amazing, crisp and clear

I have read a lot of bad reviews about the meikon housings, about vignette and ergonomics of the housing and even lens options. I was also looking into getting a mirrorless camera upgrade but with the housings being so expensive I opted not to. I still haven't bought any upgrade tho so might have to look into this further. Any light on these situations?

Heya guys!

I am going to upgrade into a DSLR/mirrorless because I want to invest in a camera I can use for both underwater video + photography and topside video + photography. I am starting to make documentaries also, so I want some good quality! However, unfortunately budget is an issue (as always,) where I have found that almost all DSLRs have UW housings for AT LEAST 1000 USD(!)

But then I luckily discovered that the Sony A6000 has some budget housings with great reviews, such as the Meikon UW housing, which go for about 300-400USD. The A6000 also has great reviews, praised for its quick auto-focus for video.

So I was wondering if there are some A6000 users here who either recommend it or not? And also regarding its lenses; what would be the best lens to use for UW video?

Also if there are other DSLRs/Mirrorless who have cheaper UW housing you guys can recommend?

EDIT: After further research I've also found the following DSLRs/Mirrorless having budget options for UW cases. These camera's also seem to have wonderful reviews, so if anyone could help determine which would be the best for my usage, it would be great! Or, if someone could help determine which one to get off my list!

Canon EOS M3
Nikon 1 J5
Olympus E-P5
Olympus OM-D E-M5 MKII
Canon EOS 550D
Fuji X-M1
Olympus OMD E-M1
Sony Nex 7
Nikon D7000/7100

Cheers!

I would at least buy a camera with 4k, it's the new norm. If you can't I would prefer to go for a Gopro or a Rx100IV / V.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom