Cramps during diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dizzi Lizzi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
First off, I’ve never really had a leg cramp before, a twinge occasionally but that’s about it. A few nights ago I had a massive cramp of my quad that woke me out of my sleep. I won’t bore you with the details but it took several minutes before it eased enough for me to stop sounding like I was a woman in labor with breached twins (panting and groaning). It was still iffy for about 1.5 hours despite water and electrolyte solution, Interestingly enough, I seemed well hydrated at my last pit stop prior to sleep. Later, I thought about scuba (as I am prone to do) and just totally frightened myself. That cramp will make me a better buddy!! My question is, have you ever “saved” someone that was having a massive cramp? Were they able to notify you, or did you notice them having problems?

A leg cramp is fairly simple to administer first aid, if the diver is not panicking you can grab the back of the affected leg with one hand and with your other hand you help the diver pull their fin back. In most cases the leg cramp will work itself out without anyone else's assistance. I have found that a decent diet of bananas seems to help with muscle cramps due to the high potassium levels found in bananas. Maintaining a proper level of hydration also goes a long way in helping to avoid the dreaded cramps. Try stretching your muscles the night before to help keep you a little more limber the day of the dive (yes I did say the night before and not the day of).

Hope this helps..
I'm not a doctor but I have been known to partake a little too much on trips to Cozumel.

Force Fins. No cramps underwater. Period. I changed >10 years ago after years of horrible cramps. Never looked back.

Yes, I googled how to relieve a quad cramp the next morning :), I am familiar with the calf cramp-my husband suffers from semi frequent cramps, he does not drink enough. Water.
@tridacna as we speak my husband is fin shopping, I will let him know. I'm sure this was not related to diving, it has been a couple months since I dove..I've dived...whatever.

Yes, I googled how to relieve a quad cramp the next morning :), I am familiar with the calf cramp-my husband suffers from semi frequent cramps, he does not drink enough. Water.
@tridacna as we speak my husband is fin shopping, I will let him know. I'm sure this was not related to diving, it has been a couple months since I dove..I've dived...whatever.

Look on eBay. Lots of FFs available at around $100.

I am curious about the details. As one who had cramps for years (due to heredity, I believe, as my mom was very prone), it is interesting that you got one big one in the quad all of a sudden. I would get cramps in bed and have to jump out and walk, and of course while diving--cold OR warm water--sometimes not in either. Do you think this big one had to do with diving previous to getting it? Maybe worth a mention to the doctor.
To answer your question, I have not had to do any big rescuing (fin bending, etc.) helping others. I witnessed several students with very minor cramps that went away with just a little rest. My cramping while diving, and at any other times all but disappeared about 7 years ago when I started taking one potassium pill daily. Coincidentally I just by chance also switched to split fins at that approx. same time (I won the fins). Split fins put less pressure on leg muscles and are known for helping prevent cramps (and have some negative aspects which have been discussed OCCASIONLLY!!! on scubaboard). I can't say if the fins were very instrumental in cramp loss, maybe the pills would've been fine by themselves since I almost never get cramps in bed (I don't wear fins there).
If you begin to get serious cramps diving, I've figured out several other things you can do during the dive to safely end it, other than the standard fin bending you learn in OW (try that first of course). PM me if you do start getting serious cramps. On one dive years ago I cramped in both my legs and both arms at the same time. After the pills, basically nada unless I really cover a lot of ground at a fast speed, then I can even tell when one "wants" to occur and stop it.

There are a lot of old threads on cramping. You'll get a lot of good advice as to diet, hydrating and exercise--stuff which will help most but not all people. Bananas are great but you probably don't want to eat one every single day.

Last edited:
I've only had 1 small cramp when finning up when I was overweighted...then remembered that I could add a little puff to my bcd :cool:

I cannot figure out why I had the cramp, I have to say it immobilized me, and later I was having small cramps in my intercostals...And no, I didn't have my fins on in bed :rofl3:
My day was pretty normal, I took a longer than usual walk with the dog, but nothing strenuous. Did not even break a sweat. IDK? Could that have been it? Possibly but that longer than normal walk is something that's done 2-3x month.

The thing is, well, I could see someone having a huge cramp like that and being unable to signal for help, and drift away/down or panic with the breathing difficulties. It seemed to be an event that could have serious implications. Like the bee that flies into the car, then the car crashes as the driver is swatting at the bee, and the bee flies out of the car after the accident, and no one knows what caused the crash.

edit I can't explain how much I hate bananas. I think I'm slightly allergic as they make my throat itch. thanks for the offer @TMHeimer I will take you up on it if it continues.

Hopefully It was just an unusual thing. I have read rare posts saying potassium pills did nothing, but I always mention it since the change for me was so abrupt.
You are right about the dangers of serious cramps while diving. As I dive alone mostly, it is still a concern even though I seem "cured". Keeping track of where the closest point near shore is where I could stand up and put my weight on the cramp. This is almost always the best answer, but of course that can't happen while diving--though some have suggested deflating the BC and standing on the bottom. My guess is that wouldn't help me much.

I've had a few cramps while diving...nothing too serious.
Distracting to say the least.

But, my dive buddy was able to help out without any drama.

I did try eating more bananas, and have not have any since.

Back
Top Bottom