Where did you get OW certified?

Where did you get scuba certified?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Monterey, CA, with an independent instructor. Because of a raging rainstorm, it ended up being a private course for the OW checkout dives, as no other students showed up that weekend.

Both my wife and I certified together at a local dive shop, then within a couple weeks, went back for Nitrox cert...bucket list...check!

At the local YMCA while in high school in the 70s. Then for re-certification here at a local dive shop in Maine about eight years ago followed by AOW two years later.

I did a "resort course" dive in Cozumel on vacation, and then signed up for my OW locally as soon as we got home from the trip. OW dives were in an Ohio quarry in late May.

Based on the choices in the poll, I think I'd have to say "D. None of the above".

I always wanted to learn how to dive but I figured I needed the time, the money, and the right location. For what seemed like years, I was often able to get 2 out of 3, but could never seem to get all three criteria met.

Then, I found myself in Panama City Florida for a month on business. There was a local dive shop "just over the bridge" as you exit Tyndall AFB. I went in there, and they had an OW course starting in a few days with one spot left. I signed up, and by the time I left for home, I had both my OW and my AOW courses complete.

So, it was at a Local Dive Shop, but I happened to be far away from home.

Sort of a "University" course; I was first OW certified at the U.S. Naval Academy in 1967; the certification agency was YMCA but the course was VERY Navy diving "flavored"; the officer-adviser to the USNA SCUBA club that year was the Naval Academy Superintendent: Admiral Draper Kaufman; google him to see his role in forming UDT and other Navy diving activities, particularly during WWII; the actual OW dives were at some very cold dreary quarry in Maryland somewhere.

Your poll doesn't include clubs.
A very good point, especially since this is a global discussion board, and club courses are the standard way to learn diving in Europe. That's the MOA of both CMAS and BSAC.

Laguna de la Media Luna near Rio Verde, Mexico in 1978. Barely remember and it took some research to recall. I do remember it being some of the clearest water I ever dove.

Sort of a "University" course; I was first OW certified at the U.S. Naval Academy in 1967; the certification agency was YMCA but the course was VERY Navy diving "flavored"; the officer-adviser to the USNA SCUBA club that year was the Naval Academy Superintendent: Admiral Draper Kaufman; google him to see his role in forming UDT and other Navy diving activities, particularly during WWII; the actual OW dives were at some very cold dreary quarry in Maryland somewhere.
Better than the Severn River though....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom